Disc Brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:50 AM

Disc Brake conversion

Hi guys,I have a 71 cutlass with power drums and going to install power disc on front.I already have New spindles,backing plates,rotors & calipers etc.Can I use the old(new)Booster & master along with a disc-drum proportioning valve.I keep getting differant opinions from all the know it alls out there,so i'm asking the guys who know the correct answers.Thanks,Tom.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:24 AM

Boosters are the same between drum/disc. Master cylinder is specific to drums or disc system & you will need one for a disc system. If you have a disc/drum prop. valve, you should be fine. You will also need the brackets that mount on the frame that hold the top of the rubber hose going to the caliper. Those are different than the drum brake versions.
Old April 5th, 2012, 08:32 AM

disc brakes

In setting up the change over of Power Drum to Power Disc/Drum do i remove the Power drum distribution block on the frame rail and install the Power disc/Drum proporsion valve in it's place.Do i need a valve made for Olds or any Gm valve would do.Thanks,Tom.

Last edited by oldgold; April 5th, 2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: mispelled word
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:58 PM

HELP!! Disc brakes and 14" SS wheels. Anybody still reading this thread? I've got a '74 Omega (X-body) converted to disc brakes with an aftermarket kit, stock height spindels. 15" SSs fit and look great but the tires rub the wheelwells. I don't want to get real, real low profile tires. 14" SSs just don't fit around the aftermarket caliper brackets. Will the A-body factory discs bolt on to an X-body car? Will the A-body drum spindles with the bolt boss ground down? Will any A-body (Chev, B,O,P) work? Which years? Anybody make an aftermarket kit that replicates the factory parts?