69 442 - Defective Master Cylinder ?

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2021, 07:33 PM

69 442 - Defective Master Cylinder ?

I recently bought and installed a new brake system for my 69 442. The master cylinder was not allowing flow as I was trying to bleed the brake lines.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I bought the part from oldsparts.com. and felt confident since it was the correct master cylinder including bleeder valves.

Any other troubleshooting ideas?

Any suggestions on where I should I order another master cylinder from?

Thanks for the help!

Old July 12th, 2021, 04:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Did you bench bleed the M/C before bolting it to the car? Did fluid come out? If so, the problem is likely an incorrectly adjusted pushrod that is not allowing the compensating port to open with the pedal released. If not, take it off the car and bench bleed it first.
Old July 12th, 2021, 11:28 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by arruv89
... felt confident since it was the correct master cylinder ...
Not actually -- the correct MC for a '69 with PDB would be the "bathtub" style with the dual bails. The one you got looks correct for '70 on up. They were commonly used as service replacements on earlier models.
Old July 12th, 2021, 11:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Not actually -- the correct MC for a '69 with PDB would be the "bathtub" style with the dual bails. The one you got looks correct for '70 on up. They were commonly used as service replacements on earlier models.
Yes, but that is not a cause of the OP's problem. The later style M/C works just fine in a 1969 car.
Old July 12th, 2021, 11:50 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yes, but that is not a cause of the OP's problem. The later style M/C works just fine in a 1969 car.
I know. I actually have one like OP's in my car. I was just addressing his misapprehension that it's correct for his application. If he's going to replace it, he might as well get one that's cosmetically accurate. They are available.
Old July 20th, 2021, 06:28 PM

Did you bench bleed the M/C before bolting it to the car? Did fluid come out? If so, the problem is likely an incorrectly adjusted pushrod that is not allowing the compensating port to open with the pedal released. If not, take it off the car and bench bleed it first.
I know. I actually have one like OP's in my car. I was just addressing his misapprehension that it's correct for his application. If he's going to replace it, he might as well get one that's cosmetically accurate. They are available.

Yea I did bleed it on the bench and it was working. Definitely flowing but not as good as I thought it should be. Also, I feel the pushrod port is just defective. It feels like it gets stuck when I was pumping the brakes while bleeding on the car smh. I checked every tube and port downstream to check flow. Either it can't hold the pressure or the pushrod port is jacked OR both.

Either way decided to get a new M/C. The correct one this time. I will keep you posted if the problem is still there.

Appreciate the feedback!
Old July 21st, 2021, 10:51 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by arruv89
Yea I did bleed it on the bench and it was working. Definitely flowing but not as good as I thought it should be. Also, I feel the pushrod port is just defective. It feels like it gets stuck when I was pumping the brakes while bleeding on the car smh. I checked every tube and port downstream to check flow. Either it can't hold the pressure or the pushrod port is jacked OR both.

Either way decided to get a new M/C. The correct one this time. I will keep you posted if the problem is still there.

Appreciate the feedback!
Good luck! Let us know how it works out.