67 442 lost pressure

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2022, 12:18 PM

67 442 lost pressure

Lost my brakes. To come to a complete stop I have a little pressure on the pedal but after about 1/4 in I lose all pressure and foot goes all the way down to the floor. I’m not able to lock my wheels. Looking at bleeding the brakes, but wondering if its the booster. While checking the master cylinder I noticed a cast piece beneath the master cylinder with on hard line going to it. Wondering what it is. My car is a 67 442 w/ disks up front. Thank u in advance

Last edited by Packpena; January 21st, 2022 at 12:27 PM.
Old January 21st, 2022, 12:51 PM

It's called a stop valve. It holds off the rear brakes for a little while so the fronts can engage. I doubt it's the cause. I would rebleed and look for a leak. perhaps between the master and the brake booster.
Old January 21st, 2022, 01:04 PM

A leak would be obvious as you would have fluid leaking. You have not said that so i'm going with the Master cylinder being the cause. Rebuild or replacement is in order
Old January 21st, 2022, 01:21 PM

Internal leak in master cylinder may be the cause if you are not loosing brake fluid... new master cylinder will fix.
Old January 21st, 2022, 01:28 PM

Busted booster does not diminish braking power, as well.
Old January 21st, 2022, 02:06 PM

Thank you all for the tips. I do not have any leaks so I will start at master cylinder.

Now because of the stop valve attached to my master cylinder, should I be looking at a drum/drum master cylinder? Or just put a modern disc/drum master cylinder and remove what I have?
Old January 21st, 2022, 02:09 PM
Running On Empty

It's most probably the MC, but I would:

(1) Open the MC reservoir to evaluate fluid level; and,
(2) Thoroughly examine each brake line attachment to wheel caliper for evidence of leaks (remove each wheel, rock each wheel on its spindle forwards/backwards trying to find a leak; and,
(3) Thoroughly examine the MC leaks.

If no leaks found, suspect the MC. As stated, the booster is not likely suspect since the booster only assists in application of foot-to-brake-pedal-to-MC effort (reducing this effort) - the brakes would still function w/o the booster with a great deal more effort, but the brakes would still function.

Don't forget to bench bleed the MC if you find you need to replace/rebuild the MC.

EDIT: You beat me by a couple minutes in posting. If confident of no leaks, as suggested elsewhere in the thread - suspect the MC.
Old January 21st, 2022, 02:24 PM

Should be a disc/drum master.
Old January 21st, 2022, 02:45 PM

Disk/drum MC it is.. do I keep the stop valve I have now?
I guess what I should also add is that at the frame I have a proportioning valve with one line connected from from the stop valve and another line connected from the master cylinder.

When I get my new MC will I still need both, proportioning valve at the frame and stop valve?

I’ve had disc/drums before but it was a newer set up with and adjustable prop valve, nonstop valve.

Last edited by Packpena; January 21st, 2022 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old January 21st, 2022, 02:45 PM

Bench bleed before installing...
Old January 21st, 2022, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Packpena
Yes
Old January 21st, 2022, 03:47 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Packpena
I guess what I should also add is that at the frame I have a proportioning valve with one line connected from from the stop valve and another line connected from the master cylinder.

When I get my new MC will I still need both, proportioning valve at the frame and stop valve?

I’ve had disc/drums before but it was a newer set up with and adjustable prop valve, nonstop valve.
I believe you'll find your 1967 disc/drum setup has a brake distribution block mounted to the frame rail. The only thing inside is the differential pressure switch. I believe I'm correct in stating the 1967-1970 disc/drum cars all used the same distribution block as the 1967-1970 drum/drum brake cars. It's not a proportioning valve. I believe the only "proportioning" functionality comes from the "metering" valve (or hold-off, or stop-valve) located under the MC as depicted in your first image. This metering valve is only used in the front brake circuit which (as stated in an earlier post I believe) holds off the front brake circuit long enough for the rear brakes to catch up.

It isn't going to "hurt" anything by retaining the brake distribution block so you might just as well retain it since it's already plumbed into the front brake circuit.

Here's a decent thread from last year:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-valve-141880/
Old January 21st, 2022, 03:57 PM

Awesome. Thank you for the clarification and link 🙏🏽. I shall see how it goes.
Old January 21st, 2022, 04:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by sysmg
It's called a stop valve. It holds off the rear brakes for a little while so the fronts can engage. I doubt it's the cause. I would rebleed and look for a leak. perhaps between the master and the brake booster.
That's actually completely backwards. That external valve is a metering valve and the purpose is to delay the application of the FRONT brakes for a fraction of a second to allow the slop in the rear brakes to be taken up. If you look at the lines, the valve is plumbed into the front brakes, not the rear. The metering valve function is incorporated into the combination valve on the 1971-newer cars. Note that this is NOT a proportioning valve. The 1967-70 A-body cars did not use a prop valve, only this metering valve. The factory adjusted the front/rear brake force bias by carefully selecting the wheel cylinder sizes on these cars (disc brake cars used smaller rear wheel cylinders than did drum brake cars for 1967-70).
Old January 23rd, 2022, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
That's actually completely backwards. .
thanks for correcting me.