64 Starfire Master Cylinder Issue

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2011, 04:29 PM

64 Starfire Master Cylinder Issue

I just finished installing new wheel cylinders, brake hoses and steel brake lines. I also put on a re-manufactured master cylinder that I pick up from NAPA. The part number is NMC P49753( 1 inch bore) that states that it is for an automatic transmission and power brakes. It looks similar to the one I took off except it has a black plastic screw on cap.
I did not bench bleed it before I installed it to the booster.

I tried to bleed the brakes at the bleeds on the wheel cylinders and a little air came out. But it appears that the master cylinder is leaking between the back of the master cylinder and the booster. I did not bench bleed it beacuse I figured that there would be a ton of air in the new lines anyway.

Is the master cylinder I just got the wrong one or did I ruin it by not bench bleeding it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5957_1.JPG (83.7 KB, 31 views)
IMG_5958_2.JPG (83.4 KB, 24 views)
IMG_5959_3.JPG (71.0 KB, 26 views)
Old February 27th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Oldsdruid

Looks to me like you're trying to put a Bendix m/c on a Moraine booster. That's a hard spot with these cars- they could have come with either, but they're not interchangeable and the Moraine m/c is getting harder to find.

Is your booster round and painted black, or is it plated with dimples in the booster? If it's dimpled, you have a Moraine booster and need a Moraine m/c.

A screw-on cap is a good indicator of a Bendix m/c. Moraines used a wire bail to hold the cap on.
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:39 AM

I believe that I have a Moraine booster. I thought that the Bendix master cylinder had an outlet in the front. The master cylinder that I got does have a black screw on top but it does have an outlet on the bottom like the one I took off.
Attached Images
IMG_5947_1.JPG (82.0 KB, 17 views)
IMG_5948_2.JPG (82.8 KB, 15 views)
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:27 AM

Update

I ordered a new master cylinder and put it on and still had the leak. It was because I failed to tighten the front to rear line at the junction block thus giving the appearance that the master cylinder was leaking. (Dumb Mistake)

The positive is the Raybestos MC36136 (same as M49202) looks like the one I took off.

I found the wheel cylinders and front and rear hoses at NAPA. NAPA has a neat feature that you can look up the part numbers online and order them at the store and save some time.
The front wheel cylinders were listed under the 98 but seem to fit the Starfire just fine 1 1/8" bore around $30 each.

I measured my old brake lines carefully and did not have to flare any ends.
They are as follows:
Front Driver 8"
Front Passenger 60"
Front to rear 72"" + junction and 40"
Rear Driver 20"
Rear Passenger 51"
Master cylinder without a loop to junction block 20"

The 3/16 lines I found at Advanced auto they have a zinc coating and bend nice.

The lines I bent won't earn me an award at a show but I did the job for under $50 for all the lines.

I gravity bleed the brakes but the pedal is still soft so I will enlist the help of a friend to bleed them the old fashion way.

On to the gas tank and transmission
Old June 4th, 2012, 06:14 AM

the first one you bought is what Im looking for for my 62 to replace a bendix do you have the NAPA part number