62 starfire brake pedal comes up slow

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2011, 07:02 PM

62 starfire brake pedal comes up slow

Hey everyone! Here is another question for you. When I got my car, the previous owner had the brakes redone, new replacement master cylinder, new rear lines, and new rear wheel cylinders. The car stops really REALLY well (at least in the driveway). Just going from park into drive and letting the car coast a bit..just a tap on the brakes will almost send you flying through the windshield lol. But, my problem is the pedal seems to come back up slowly. But, I am not sure how fast it is supposed to come up. It caught my attention since the brake light switch was replaced and the it took awhile for the pedal to come up enough to turn the lights off.

None of the lines are leaking or anything..at least from what I could tell. The metal lines look kind of crusty but seem to be working. The rubber lines are all new. What is causing the pedal to come up slow? It it something to do with the replacement booster? I attached a picture of the booster/master cylinder. The other brake check valve is hidden under the wiper motor. Any info would be great. If I get this knocked out, I can almost put it on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_3559.jpg (78.4 KB, 8 views)
Old November 12th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Hi Viper, pull the vacuum line off the booster and check for any fluid residue because it sounds like the bladder in the booster is starting to leak, this will also pull the pedal down after you have been driving for a while.I had this happen to one of my cars and I rebuilt it on my bench.
Steve
Old November 12th, 2011, 07:56 PM

Hummm... ok I can try that easy enough. I know that the reason why the stuff was changed out in the first place was bec the old booster/master cylinder was bad and the pedal was going to the floor (according to the readouts from the shop that redid the brakes prior to me buying the car).

Would a leaky bladder hinder the brake pedal from coming up normally after you depressed the brakes? Thanks for the info and I will check it out while I try to find out where my carb is leaking.