1969 Cutlass Brake drum questions/Maybe Discs?

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2015, 12:42 PM

1969 Cutlass Brake drum questions/Maybe Discs?

Im asking these questions for my father as he owns the car but doesnt go online,So let me know if there is extra info needed to answer these questions,Thanks!

Well my father was going to replace the Front brakes on his 69 cutlass which are drums. He took them off and was going to have them turned and he was told they could not be turned anymore. So he just said lets just order some new ones,and pretty much all the local part stores cant seem to find any?

If I understand this right,,The 69 cutlass has the hub and studs pressed into the actual drum? Napa ordered two sets and brought them to their guy who does the pressing and he told them these are the wrong sets and wont work,,and they cant seem to find anymore.

Do they not sell the entire drum,hub,studs assemble together? Do you pretty much got to try to find everything separate and have them pressed in yourself? Or are we missing something here? Any help would be appreciated.

On the complete other side of the coin,I was wondering if someone could recommend a Complete bolt on Front disc kit for the 69 cutlass. I ran into a bit of money and thought it would make a nice surprise if I could get him the kit. I bought a set for my 55' that was a bolt on and worked out really well,but I remember with the chevy anyway,,there was a few different versions and you had to be careful,some changed the offset,some dropped down,some wouldnt work with certain size wheels/tires,etc. So after researching I found the correct set. He would be keeping the rear drums,so I guess we'll have to add that proportioning valve or get a entire new set up,He does have power brakes.
So if you know of a complete easy bolt on kit of good quality that wont add offsets or need any mods to install please link,or let me know they site.

Again if you need any additional info I'll do my best to find out or answer what I know. Thanks Again!
Old June 24th, 2015, 04:43 PM

I'm not an expert, but do have some experience....

I've seen 2 different styles of front drums. My '68 had one side that had the drum & hub (with studs) all as one piece (at least, that's what it looked like). The other side was the traditional hub with studs that had a removable drum.

You have many options to convert a '69 to front disc.
Easiest, but most $$$ would be the kits from RightStuff, Summit, etc.. Everything is included and its a proven swap. Of course, if you're doing it yourself, you'll need experience with removing spindles & such.
Cheaper way is to junkyard the parts. The same pieces were used on all '69-'72 GM A bodies (Cutlii, Chevelles, Skylarks, LeManseseses, etc..)

You would need to swap out the proportioning valve on the frame. IIRC, '69 used the separate 'hold off' valve by the master cyl (& maybe the rear brake metering valve?) when they got disc brakes from the factory. '69 all drum cars only have the prop block on the frame. You can simplify things by using the '70 & up combination metering/proportioning valve to do it all with one piece.

What wheels are on it now ? Usually the only fitment issue with the conversion is if you're running early 14" rims.