1968 Cutlass Parking Brake Won't Lock

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2020 | 05:24 PM

1968 Cutlass Parking Brake Won't Lock

I am working through my checklist on getting my 68 Cutlass road worthy and capable of passing a safety inspection, and the last item on the list to fix is the parking brake. The car has a TH300 automatic and drums at all corners.

I have confirmed that pressing on the parking brake moves the cables all the way to the rear drums, but as you press down on the parking brake, it does not click or ratchet at all. When you lift off your foot, the pedal returns by itself.

I have not tested whether if holding down the brake is actuating the brakes well enough to prevent the car from moving in gear since the parking brake not holding would fail the inspection anyway.

Any thoughts as to what part(s) need fixed or replacing? The local shop that will do my inspection thinks that they can fix it if I can source the parts for them, but they have not witnessed the issue themselves yet.
Old October 5th, 2020 | 06:39 PM

Make sure the release handle is fully forward. There should be a spring on the release handle rod to make the rod returns back to it's normal place.
Old October 5th, 2020 | 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Make sure the release handle is fully forward. There should be a spring on the release handle rod to make the rod returns back to it's normal place.
Thanks! That was a good thing to check. Unfortunately, the spring is there, and the handle is seated correctly and returns correctly.

Here is a photo of it.

Old October 5th, 2020 | 08:30 PM

Then you have a problem with the ratchet teeth Maybe the teeth are stripped. I think there is another spring on the ratchet. Check that one.
Old October 5th, 2020 | 09:44 PM

Often the grease on the pivot of the small pawl that locks the arced/tooth gear gums up preventing the pawl from engaging. Look at the large arced gear and follow it to a small arm that pivots to catch/lock the big gear, clean and lube its pivot point.

Moving the release lever may help locate the pawl.

Another good maintenance for e-brakes is to put thin oil on the cable where it comes up to the pedal and gear mechanism. Put enough thin oil on the cable so it runs down the cable into the casing.

Good luck!!!
Old October 6th, 2020 | 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
Then you have a problem with the ratchet teeth Maybe the teeth are stripped. I think there is another spring on the ratchet. Check that one.
Thank you! That makes sense. I will give that a try.