1964 Olds 98 Drum Brakes

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2013, 01:14 PM

1964 Olds 98 Drum Brakes

Hi all,

I just purchased a 64 Olds 98. Great car but the drum brakes need some adjusting. For the life of me I don't see the little hole for the star adjuster. It's just not there on either the front or the rear.

Does anyone know how to adjust these brakes? And any tips, steps, etc., for removing the drums on these cars - as I suspect that's how I have to adjust the brakes.

I'm going to replace the brake cylinders, so any tips there (or other threads that show how to do this) would be MOST appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:48 PM

Some cars had access to adjusters on the drum, accessable by removing tire. Don't know about 64. Somebody here does.
As far as wheel cylinders go, penatrating oil on brake line, use a flare wrench and maybe a LITTLE bit of heat to keep from braking or twisting the line.
Join Wildaboutcars.com (free) to get access to a factory service manual, buy one on-line, e-bay etc.
Old August 15th, 2013, 09:36 AM

That car has self-adjusting brakes and may not have the usual rubber-plugged hole for manual adjustment. The best way to adjust is to remove the drums and manually turn the star wheel to expand the shoes until you can feel slight rubbing when you put the drum back on and turn it. Once all wheels have been adjusted, take the car to a deserted parking lot, put it in reverse, and firmly tap the brakes multiple times. then drive forward and check the pedal, it should firm up. Keep repeating until you are happy with the pedal feel and the car stops straight. If you do this with new shoes and cut drums you may have to do this a few times as the shoes wear in.

Regarding the hydraulic system, the first thing to do is inspect everything. If you have any leaks, rusty lines, cracked hoses, or oil soaked linings - REPLACE IT ALL! This includes all the wheel cylinders and master cylinder. All the parts are available new and if you plan to drive the car this is cheap insurance against catastrophy.

Good luck, let us know how it comes out.
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:35 PM

Thank you both - huge help. Regarding removing the drums. Am I right that after I get the wheels off and unscrew the small flat tabs (there were two on the drivers rear) they should just pull off? Or is there some other thing I have to do to get them off?
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:34 PM

1964 Olds 98 parts

If you need, I have "everything" for this car -- the master cylinder -- and dual replacement , that people use today, the wheeel cylinders, the brake hoses, the brake shoes, the wheel bearings & seals, the brake cables, the Front & rear BRAKE DRUMS, one last pair of N.O.S. Kelsey-Hayes Front "BIG BELLS" Brake Drums.....

I have front end, the 3-pack of Motor Mounts for 1961 - 1964 Olds, Ignition, Electrical, and tons more......

Call me -- craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.... New York....
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:33 AM

Crig - right now I would be interested in the brake hoses for all four wheels. PM me and we can see what it would take.
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by 6498
Thank you both - huge help. Regarding removing the drums. Am I right that after I get the wheels off and unscrew the small flat tabs (there were two on the drivers rear) they should just pull off? Or is there some other thing I have to do to get them off?
The rear drums should just come off unless they are rusted to the axle hub. On the front, the drum comes off with the hub and bearings after you remove the spindle nut. (unless your drum has loosened up like mine, then the hub stays on!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF1492.jpg (51.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCF1497.jpg (58.0 KB, 43 views)
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:26 PM

1964 Olds 98 Brake Hoses

Tried to send you a private message as you requested, but I don't know whether it went through or not.... I am not super skilled on the computer -- I don't know all the ins and outs -- and I don't even have a computer -- I have to go to the library to use it.....

I have all 3 brake hoses (there are 2 Front & 1 Rear) on your 1964 Olds 98 -- and as I indicated, just simply CALL ME................
Old August 28th, 2013, 01:38 PM

Thanks. I actually was able to get the hoses for the front. I do need the junction box where the master cylinder line meets the other lines that go to the four wheels, do you have that?

Also - guys - I made a huge mistake and drove the car while it was smoking oil - the oil got low (I didn't realize how low) and now it's knocking. Any idea what that is - Valves? How hard is a valve adjustment to do?

I also need some advice on a gasoline smell I get after filling the tank. It's pretty bad in the garage, and I'm wondering how the tank vents. I don't see anything on the floor - so no leaks. So is this just what to expect from this year? Is there no charcoal recovery system that takes the vent fumes?

Help on all these fronts is MOST appreciated!

Mark

1964 Olds
Old August 29th, 2013, 12:01 PM

There is no valve adjustment with hydraulic lifters, which is what your car has.

Gas smell not normal. Needs further investigation.