Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

72 Cutlass Windshield Leaks.

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Exclamation 72 Cutlass Windshield Leaks.

Ok, I got a problem. I have a 1972 Supreme with an awful vinyl top that is beginning to rot the metal underneath in all the wrong spots. Well as if there are RIGHT ones.

I recently had the windshield replaced and the man who did it said that the frame was beginning to rot to the point that he could not guarantee it would not leak. Well I am afraid he may have been right. It is leaking just above the rear view mirror.

Before you shoot the glass guy, bear in mind that he has done several glass jobs for me and friends with NEVER a problem.

So what to do I ask. I cannot afford to do the full on paint and body restoration that the car so deserves. I also have a pending move (I work for Uncle Sam in the defense department) so I do not want to take the car out of commission for longer than a few weeks.

I have only thought of doing the unspeakable and doing a HALF *** job. Basically removing the vinyl top, the front and rear glass, and fixing the frame and the rot by the rear windows too, and PAINTING the roof white (I like the two toned look, but not the vinyl).

So what am I looking at cost wise, and what other options are there?

John
Old November 10th, 2006, 03:55 PM

dude....mine too!!

my 68 has been giving me a headache...i pulled the windshild cause it needs to be replaced anyways and i freaked! the whole frame is rotted beyond belief and im having a hard time repairing it...im to the point of finding a donor car and cutting the whole frame and pillar assemblies and grafting them in my car....has anyone else had the same problem for 68-72 cutlass??? how bad is yours eight?
Old November 10th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Windshield leak

I honestly dont know HOW bad...I do know that water getting in the car is bad...period. I was at work when the glass guy came and did the job. He called me to tell me so i did not get to see it.

Based on the fact the the vinyl top has pretty much started to soak water, it is probably rotted to the point of some major reworking. I was doing more research on how to fix it, and I read somewhere that using LEAD (like the leadwork they used to do back in the 50's and 60's) may be the best option short of grafting a new frame in. I have a donor in the driveway now, but it too was at one time a vinyl topped car.

This HAS to be a common problem with vinyl tops unless everyone has ripped them off years ago...My back window will need work too so I was figuring the whole roof at one time

John
Old November 11th, 2006, 01:35 PM

i have a 68 and mine was a two tone car painted top not vinyl, it actually came from the factory that way and yes mine had the rot as well at the top and bottom, leaked behind the rear view mirror. two be honest if you don't want to do a full resto now i would take the vinyl off and have it prof. fixed and paint the top white. it shouldn't be that much not like replacing the quarter. i litly sand blasted mine and used a all medal to fill the pin holes and had small pathes welded in the bigger spots. don't give up. if you do go the perf. way save your self some money and firts call and ask about how much it would cost, then take the vinyl off your self , remove the trim and the hood and have the window taken out by your glass guy. trust me the more disassembly you do your self the cheaper it is.
Old November 11th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Getting There

hope fully this helps you guys out

that is the downfall of the chromed window trim cars....... the channels ALWAYS rot I have heard of guys drilling drain holes in thier channels but never followed up on how they did it

yes you can lead your winshield channels depending on how far gone they are ...other options are they do make a partial channel replacement for both front and rear glass.....stopping the leaking is a huge plus cause once they start they can get real nasty it can get into your cowl sections and start rusting the trunk out

as far as cost goes.........it all depends on how bad the channels are one of my 67s the channels are nasty...the old owner actually used spray foam to seal the rear window so mine is gonna have to have some full rear replacement once I get into it

here is a link to replacement steel if you want to try it yourselves if it really bad
http://store.shermanparts.com/cgi-bi...oduct_olds.htm
Old November 12th, 2006, 01:39 AM

get the lead out...

i myself am gonna carfully braze in hand formed pieces for the big areas and then lead the poop out of the whole area...my bodywork friend advised me that that is the best way if you are not doing a full resto,and from what i know...lead dont rust my rear window was starting to do the same but i stopped it before it got bad...just gonna clean the crap out of it and throw some lead in there too.....thank god im not the only one that is going through this
Old November 13th, 2006, 06:53 AM

67 parts

Originally Posted by Ranzan
hope fully this helps you guys out

that is the downfall of the chromed window trim cars....... the channels ALWAYS rot I have heard of guys drilling drain holes in thier channels but never followed up on how they did it

yes you can lead your winshield channels depending on how far gone they are ...other options are they do make a partial channel replacement for both front and rear glass.....stopping the leaking is a huge plus cause once they start they can get real nasty it can get into your cowl sections and start rusting the trunk out

as far as cost goes.........it all depends on how bad the channels are one of my 67s the channels are nasty...the old owner actually used spray foam to seal the rear window so mine is gonna have to have some full rear replacement once I get into it

here is a link to replacement steel if you want to try it yourselves if it really bad
http://store.shermanparts.com/cgi-bi...oduct_olds.htm

Not trying to hijack the tread..(oh wait, I started it!!!) But I do know where there is a 67 body sitting in a junkyard in NC. :-)
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Getting There

Thanks Eight bit I`m on the other coast plus I got a shop full of parts just gotta somehow make them magically reappear on my car
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:12 PM

A few months back I cut the roof off a 1968 parts car and sold it to a guy in Washington state to replace his roof. He told me the window channels and roof under the vinyl top were rusted so bad he didn't think he could fix it. If you can find a parts car that's sound, this would fix your window leaks once and for all!!!

On that note, Ranzan this is John down in Medford Oregon. We talked about 455 heads a few weeks ago. I've got a 1967 Buick Skylark basket case that has some cherry sheetmetal. I've been told the roof on the 1966-67 A-Bodies are all the same. Can I come up with enough parts for you to make the drive??? John
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Getting There

Hi John might be very interested in that roof section...only problem is bringing down the van this trip but will be back down in Puallyup Jan 6 to pick up my kids from the airport in Seattle can bring my truck down for that trip probably how much you looking to get for it?

Wes
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:48 PM

i have a 68 and i can say that that roof problem is really typical to the types of vehicle..due to this my fanmats floor mats had been damaged..

Last edited by kurtdaniel; June 22nd, 2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:48 PM

I had the same problem, a leak right in the middle. I wish I had fixed it in 93/94 maybe damage would not have been as bad. But mine was only rust at the bottom of the windshield. I thought the spot wields made the whole top part look waive. So, I straiten it out best I could with a hammer, then filled in the spot wields with kitty hair/body filler. Then sanded it out smooth. That way when the new glass goes in I know I did everything I could to stop it from leaking. The bottom was cut out and remolded. This was all done before I could find a quart of POR15 locally.

Last edited by hamm36; December 30th, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

You guys DO realize that this thread is from 2006, don't you?
Old June 20th, 2009, 08:31 AM

Sorry, no I did not know. But I have been wanting to post those photos for some time.