Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

72 Ctulass Supreme Body lines and gaps

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2018, 09:42 AM

Question 72 Ctulass Supreme Body lines and gaps

Okay I'm doing the final fitment of all my doors, fenders, hood and truck lid before paint. I have the doors the best I can get them but still have some very minor differences in the gaps and panel to panel levelness. I have had the fenders on already and I was all over the place. So went back to resetting the doors and before putting the fenders back on just want to know just how good was the factory settings? I have newly rebuilt OEM hinges if you need to know. Also do I need to put everything back into doors first or can these adjustments be made after paint? I HOPE NOT THIS HAS POWER WINDOWS AND THATS ANOTHER ISSUE PUTTING THEM BACK IN.
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

The gaps and fitment of the 70-72 A body is atrocious by today's standards. Unless you spend big $$$$ at a custom shop you'll have those uneven gaps between fender/door and door quarter panel. Same with the front of the hood and stone shield. The factory 'quality control' was a bit of a joke. I've seen cars come to the dealer in 73 with gaps as large as 1/2" and uneven lineup of the hoods to header panels that made them look like kids built them.

You can paint your car/doors and put the power windows in afterwards. That saves a lot of weight when maneuvering them into position
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:52 AM

Wow!!! then mine will look perfect! I have done a lot of body work already correcting most but will not be a 6 figure car standard and this is not going to be.
Will be interesting to hear how others have dealt with this.
Thanks Allan!
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
The gaps and fitment of the 70-72 A body is atrocious by today's standards.
^^^THIS. The way custom shops get better gaps is to weld metal onto the edges of the panels and grind/file to fit. That's called "over-restoring".

FYI, modern vehicles are constructed in such a way that the whole side of the car is a single stamping. This allows for much tighter tolerance control on openings and thus gap sizes. Our vintage cars use numerous separate panels (roof, firewall, quarter, A-pillar, floor, rocker) that must all be aligned and welded. This process is inherently more prone to wider tolerance stackups and thus more variability in panel gaps.
Old August 8th, 2018, 11:20 AM

Thanks Joe this make me feel better and that I'll have as close to factory if not a little better. I can now stop beating myself up over this, I want to get to final paint this fall so I can start the final assembly over the winter. This paint prep is never ending it seams.