Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

72 Cutlass Supreme hood body work

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2018, 08:30 AM

Question 72 Cutlass Supreme hood body work

Down to doing the body work on my hood and was wondering if anyone has encountered any dimples small dents and some waviness? I did have my hood media blasted and they know what they are doing all of my other parts came back very good without the usual issues found during this process. This hood is one that I bought from some one else and had a few small dents, but not the unevenness. After looking at the original hood that came off the car I see it also had a lot of body work done in the same spots mostly the two long flat panels down both sides of the center channel. I worked out most of the major stuff but to get it near perfect is going to take a lot of work. None of my deepest fills are more than an 1/8' if I work these out any more I get oil canning, and after shrinking this is as good as I am capable of getting. I have started the filling and sanding process and have half of this areas fixed.
Question is,
Has any of you encountered this?
Is this normal for these hoods?
Am I in it for the long haul of time invested to get this right?
Old July 30th, 2018, 08:41 AM

I have had exactly the same thing happen from blasting a hood. Took many hours to get it 'pretty' straight, but impossible for me to get it perfect. I then had a pro work on it for me, and he got it better, but still not 'perfect'. There should be a warning notice placed somewhere about not blasting hoods. Stripper is the only way to go, as power sanding can have the same result...... don't ask me how I learned that one also...........
Old July 30th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Just an Olds Guy

It really depends on how the hood is stripped with blasting. If it's done with a hard media you'll almost always get distortion. Soda blasting uses a wet process that's not only a good stripper, but it's friendly to chrome and glass and rubber.

When my hood was refinished, it was sanded down to base metal and built up from there. It turned out perfectly flat and smooth.
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:57 AM

Well I got the hood done, not perfect but pretty darn close. I spent a week on it a couple of hours after work each night. Its getting painted Flame Orange so hopefully it will not show everything.
Old August 9th, 2018, 07:18 AM

Don't be surprised if there's still some waves in the large sections of the hood. The metal is just too thin, too flat and too large with too little reinforcement. My body guy blocked mine 6 times and it's still a bit wobbly.
Old August 9th, 2018, 07:25 AM

I'm at a point of good enough, I know black is unforgiving. hoping that Flame Orange will help me out. I will be putting ghost flames in the two big panels and hope that helps as well.