Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

weatherstripping on 69 convertible

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2012, 07:47 PM

weatherstripping on 69 convertible

I just bought a 69 cutlass S convertible and my 1st project is to change the rubber around the top, the windshiel and the door pillars. They are original, totally cracked. Any thread on how to do this? And where would be the best place to get the parts?
Thanks in advance,
Fred
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:13 AM

I used a complete weatherstripping kit from Metro that I bought on eBay a lot cheaper than any of the reproduction parts places
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I used a complete weatherstripping kit from Metro that I bought on eBay a lot cheaper than any of the reproduction parts places
Thanks. Would you have a link?
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:34 AM

I find this listing on ebay :
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/69-72-Buick-O...728ca3&vxp=mtr

Has anyone bought from that vendor before? The price seems quite low for all 11 pieces set compare to Fusick or other vendors.
Any advice or comment would be welcome.

Thanks,
Fred
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by 69cutlassman
I find this listing on ebay :
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/69-72-Buick-O...728ca3&vxp=mtr

Has anyone bought from that vendor before? The price seems quite low for all 11 pieces set compare to Fusick or other vendors.
Any advice or comment would be welcome.

Thanks,
Fred
That's the same group of seals I bought but I think I paid $239. I didn't get it from Tamraz but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it from them.
Old November 20th, 2012, 08:29 AM

Thanks for your answer, Mike.

Did you do the job yourself? Is there a thread that shows a step-by-step or is it easy?
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Thanks for your answer, Mike.

Did you do the job yourself? Is there a thread that shows a step-by-step or is it easy?
I did it all myself. It took a while. The vent windows need to be removed and disassembled which wasn't really a big deal, but it was time consuming. I seem to remember that it was worth saving some of the old clips from the vent windows because the new kit didn't have them (I think???). The door weatherstripping lined up well with the old holes. It's takes some getting used to to push in the plastic fasteners without folding them over. Unfortunately you don't get many second chances once the weatherstripping adhesive is on. The trunk was pretty easy. The cowl was easy but the fasteners are not like the originals. Save your originals if you can. They go in easier than the plastic ones that come with the set. Door jams and 1/4 window seal were easy.

I think I had a spare Soffseal convertible header seal that I used because it was softer than the Metro. I think I did the same with the Cowl seal.
I did it two years ago, so it's been a little while

Last edited by allyolds68; November 20th, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the info, Mike, and great job on your reno : I looked and read your thread, your car looks amazing.

One last question (so far) : my garage is not heated so should I wait for spring and warmer temperatures to do the weatherstripping job or is anytime a good time?
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the info, Mike, and great job on your reno : I looked and read your thread, your car looks amazing.

One last question (so far) : my garage is not heated so should I wait for spring and warmer temperatures to do the weatherstripping job or is anytime a good time?
Thanks for the compliment. It took a while but I'm pretty happy with it now.

Weatherstripping adhesive is just basically contact cement. It's probably not as easy to use in the cold but I don't see any restrictions in the specs. Make sure you buy the black 3M. The yellow's pretty ugly if you mess up.
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:41 PM

I'm in the same boat, my '69 seals are all garbage (at best). However, while I feel I definitely need to replace them now to prevent further water leakage, it will be some time (likely years) before I get to get 'er painted. Would I have to buy all new weatherstripping again when I remove the new stuff to paint? Or would it be re-usable? (the parts with adhesive is what has me concerned)