Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Sport Mirror Opinion

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Sport Mirror Opinion

I have sport mirrors that came from a 72 Cutlass Surpreme, I was thinking of painting them and putting them on my 70 Cutlass S. It is, and will be, a "fair weather week-end warrior". I was wondering what is everybody's opinion on putting these 71-72 mirrors on a 70, or should I sell them and buy repo 70 mirrors?

Also, the driver's mirror remote that is on the inside of the door needs replaced? is there an easy way that I can remove the cables from the ball of the remote and switch it with my current ball and shaft on the car?
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:35 PM

It's your car if you think the sport mirrors will look good go for it I was thinkin about slappin some on the 71 I'm building for my son.
I went and looked at the mirrors for my 69 since I had them off and for that year the ball has to come with the whole assembly the wires are fed around the ball under and through the ball under the chrome I think attempting to take it off without removing the whole wire feeder assembly would damage the chrome on the remote adjuster. This is Classicoldsmobile.com though and somebody may have done it.
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
I have sport mirrors that came from a 72 Cutlass Surpreme, I was thinking of painting them and putting them on my 70 Cutlass S. It is, and will be, a "fair weather week-end warrior". I was wondering what is everybody's opinion on putting these 71-72 mirrors on a 70, or should I sell them and buy repo 70 mirrors?
Do it! Looks classy. I know they're not 'exactly right' but like you said this isn't going for show, just to look good. Repop 70 sport side mirrors? Who makes them? 70 was a one year only sport side mirror and they are big $$$ if you can find them. If it was my car? I'd skip the chrome mirrors and go with sport ones.

Also, the driver's mirror remote that is on the inside of the door needs replaced? is there an easy way that I can remove the cables from the ball of the remote and switch it with my current ball and shaft on the car?
No easy way. IIRC, once the assembly is put together it's pretty much a single unit. Only thing that was intended for easy replacement was the door escutcheon plate and the mirror glass. What's wrong with it? Can you post a pic?
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Allan- I know the kringe when I say this, but OPG has repop 70's in thier book for around $350. Oddly enough, they do not have 71/72 sport mirrors; however they have the mounts and gaskets for the 71/72's. Did the 70 spot mirrors bold directly to the door?

The driver's mirror from my 72CS needs some work, the mirror unit itself is a little loose. I'll post pictures, but it is easier to do on the tower, than the laptop. I haven't been able to get on and post anything for a couple of days. Sometimes, I can't even get to the sight, says 404 sever problem or something like that. I am still not sure if this is on my end, or does something happen to the sight?
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:38 AM

I searched Carlisle and Hershey for a replacement passenger side sport mirror( non-remote) for my 75 delta. No luck...they are hard to find. What I will say is that they make any car look instantly modern and stylish. Color coordinated, sleek appearance and lines that suggest it's going someplace. Sport mirror vs. chrome ?....Sport, of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2012-01-07_08-03-46_554.jpg (96.4 KB, 12 views)
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:23 AM

Allan- I know the kringe when I say this, but OPG has repop 70's in thier book for around $350. Oddly enough, they do not have 71/72 sport mirrors; however they have the mounts and gaskets for the 71/72's. Did the 70 spot mirrors bold directly to the door?

The driver's mirror from my 72CS needs some work, the mirror unit itself is a little loose. I'll post pictures, but it is easier to do on the tower, than the laptop. I haven't been able to get on and post anything for a couple of days. Sometimes, I can't even get to the sight, says 404 sever problem or something like that. I am still not sure if this is on my end, or does something happen to the sight?
Troy, the 1970 also had a plastic gasket that fit between the mirror base and the door.

I haven't looked at a sport mirror for a while, but believe you can change out the toggle adjuster if needed. You may have to work at it, so pick a day when your relaxed not rushed!
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:55 AM
delete

I have '71/'72 mirrors on my '70. They look cool. The '71/'72 mirrors are the same as the '70/'81 Camaro Firebird. The difference being the plastic mouinting "base" that changes the angle, and the length of the cables for the driver's side remote.

Last edited by droptopron; January 21st, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Allan- I know the kringe when I say this, but OPG has repop 70's in thier book for around $350. Did the 70 spot mirrors bold directly to the door?
Well I'll be. That's the first time I've seen them reproduced. Yeah, the $348 is the sale price - normally closer to 385.00. Still it's available and I think reasonable if want the proper look for your car...

The mirrors are not fastened directly to the door. Works like this. You drill holes through the door skin using a template. There is a gasket, mirror mount on the outside and a panel stiffener on the inside of the door skin that get riveted together to give the door skin and mirror mount some strength. The mirror is then attached to the outer mount and fastened with a screw at the bottom of the pod mount.

The driver's mirror from my 72CS needs some work, the mirror unit itself is a little loose.
The mirror on your 72 should be fastened the same way. Chances are the screw at the back of the mirror is loose. Try that first. BTW it's the same mounting on both sides with the sport mirrors, just that the p.s. is not remote. I put a convex mirror on my p.s. so I get better visibility than flat glass.
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:24 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Well here are the pictures. Original plan, take off mirrors off of parted out 72, sand, paint gold put on 70. Seemed simple enough. But here is the first problem.

72 sport mirror control web.jpg YUK. Need to do something about that, maybe can swap cable or control somehow.

Inside control 70 olds web.jpg This looks much better. Maybe I can use it.

Outside Mirror on 70 web.jpg Diver side mirror on 70 now. I'm still not sure that they mount the same way though notice the two small holes on either side of the mirror base.

72 Drivers side sport mirror web.jpg When, I was talking about the mirror being loose, I did not mean at the base. I meant the plastic that holds the mirror is loose, see how it is hanging in the frame.
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:36 PM

I think you are asking if the drivers side sport mirror can use the same mounting holes as the chrome mirror, the answer is yes.
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:11 PM

You can usually find decent used original '70 sport mirrors for a lot less than those repro mirrors.

>Downside - minor scratching on mirror glass, maybe a nick or ding on the metal.

>Upside - The detail/parting lines on the main body of the REPRO '70 sport mirrors is a mess.....ill defined and nowhere near as even or sharp as the originals. So...you either have to do a lot of "bodywork" on them to make the parting line look nice or live with it as is.

I have a spare driver's side '70 sport mirror in nice condition but don't have the P side. You could run a "Parts Wanted" ad and see if you can scare up a P side mirror or a nice pair.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good info Patton. Couldn't tell from the OPGI pics, they must have done them in black to hide that feature.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM

Another member here purchased a set of repop 1970 mirrors. He wasn't happy with them and if I remember right the paint kept bubbling. I believe he thought the pot metal was bad and off gassing some how. It would be worth doing a search and reading through the thread before spending the money on a set. John
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:10 PM

Fusick is pretty reputable IMO. They have 'em. $299.00 per pair. "Them" being 1970 sport mirrors. Distinctly different. Much sharper lines and way tooooo coooool.
Old January 26th, 2012, 05:35 PM

Troy,
The joystick/**** just unscrews from the ball. You might try some quad zero 0000 steel wool. It might clean up pretty well with just that. Or maybe swap one **** for another. If not, I have a few nice spares.
I have a pretty nice set of '70 sport mirrors if you want to stay with the correct ones.
Old January 26th, 2012, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Blackpage
Fusick is pretty reputable IMO. They have 'em. $299.00 per pair. "Them" being 1970 sport mirrors. Distinctly different. Much sharper lines and way tooooo coooool.
Fusick's mirrors are the same repros sold by the other places (made by The Parts Place)...inexact lines, etc. Agree on the cool look to this one-year-only mirror.