Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Rust repair question...

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2019, 07:29 PM

Rust repair question...

I've got a small area under the vinyl strip that runs along the bottom of the rear window on my 72 Supreme that has some rust. The spot is just to the inside of the seam of the strip on the pass side. I dunno how bad as I haven't taken the trim and the vinyl strip off to check. I would like to do this, but I'm wondering if it's just a matter of removing the trim and then I can just take up the vinyl strip, or is there more to it?

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by 72455; May 10th, 2019 at 07:39 PM.
Old May 12th, 2019, 07:00 PM
Administrator

I deleted your other thread as its not necessary to duplicate posts in unrelated forums. You won't know how bad it is until you start digging, its hard to make an educated answer with the small amount of info you provided. Basically start taking it apart and don't be surprised if its worse than you think.
Old May 13th, 2019, 05:06 AM

Dave, vinyl tops are notorious for trapping moisture and causing rust. The trim around the outside of the vinyl top is secured with plastic clips that fit inside the trim. These clips pop onto studs which are affixed to the body. You can remove the trim by using pry tools. Post some pics if you get a chance. Good luck.
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Dave, vinyl tops are notorious for trapping moisture and causing rust. The trim around the outside of the vinyl top is secured with plastic clips that fit inside the trim. These clips pop onto studs which are affixed to the body. You can remove the trim by using pry tools. Post some pics if you get a chance. Good luck.
2 questions...
1) The car does not see rain...is it something I need to take care of since it's under the vinyl? The spot is about 3 inches long and it is "bubbling" up under the vinyl.
2). Is the tool pictured below the one I need?

Old May 13th, 2019, 01:00 PM

Dave, here are the pry tools I would use:

https://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-...-pc-63594.html

Do you have the FSM and Chassis Manual? The Chassis Manual has instructions on how to remove the trim. Once you get the trim off you'll have to peel up the vinyl. When you do this it might ruin the vinyl top. Hopefully someone else chimes in with firsthand experience.

I went so far as to mock up the trim for a vinyl top on my 71 98. I measured and made marks on the body to install the trim studs. At the last minute I decided against it though. I still have the vinyl top trim. I might install it someday, we'll see.
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Olds64
Dave, here are the pry tools I would use:

https://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-...-pc-63594.html

Do you have the FSM and Chassis Manual? The Chassis Manual has instructions on how to remove the trim. Once you get the trim off you'll have to peel up the vinyl. When you do this it might ruin the vinyl top. Hopefully someone else chimes in with firsthand experience.
If I'm going to risk damaging the vinyl, I'm going to leave it alone...as I said, the car does not see rain.
Old May 14th, 2019, 05:06 AM

My dad; Oldsguy, owned a 77 Cutlass with a vinyl top. It had some slight rust bubbling at the edge of the vinyl top. The problem with rust is that it's a cancer that will only get worse. Even if the car is always garaged and rarely driven. When my dad sold his 77 Cutlass the rust had gone from dime to 1/2 dollar sized in a few years.