Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

one piece floor pan in a convertible

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2022, 08:28 PM

one piece floor pan in a convertible

looking for advice on a one piece floor pan in a 65 convertible, 3/4 of my floor needs work, so i would rather just do a one piece pan and have it done right and looking good. would it be better to keep the car on the frame or go ahead and put it on a rotisserie? the doors are off now and i was going to start running some cross bracing before i do any cutting of course, but if it's all the same with the car on and off the frame, i'd just assume get the frame out of the way and be able to rotate the car as needed. next question would be the rear seat bracing, and the side quarter panel braces that support the door jamb, are those a real pita to get out? the rear seat pan looks good so if i can just do a butt weld just in front of the rear seat pan, in where it drops down to the floor, that's what i'll do. first timer here with above average skills, just looking for some guidance from someone that has been there and could tell me not to do that. at 18 i wouldn't have listend, but at 48 i will. lol

Last edited by 65droptop; March 27th, 2022 at 08:34 PM.
Old March 28th, 2022, 06:00 AM

Personally I would leave it on the frame for extra stability and alignment , at least to the point of all tacked in securely then do the finishing on a rotisserie, I see your looking at a rollover jig and I’m not sure what kind of support that would give ? Does the pan include the rockers? There have been guys here who have done this but it would scare the crap out of me lol
Old March 28th, 2022, 01:58 PM

so, after taking video and sending it to my friend, professional body man, he has instructed me to buy the one piece floor pan, without braces. he seems to think that my braces are fine, albeit have some pitting, he thinks they're fine, and that i can just replace the floor itself. he also told me that we will just do a butt weld in front of the quarter side braces, and across the face of the rear seat pan. he said there is no reason to disturb any of the bracing for the rear seat and structural braces for the quarters. i will still get a new floor pan from the firewall to the seat pan, and it won't be the work i was about to create for myself. double win.
Old April 20th, 2022, 11:52 AM
Goldiewilson4mayor

full floor pan

I do full pans in one I buy all the time , i use full pans with rockers and braces , , i take the doors off , brace across the door opening with old bed frames and then brace across the body with more bedframe . then I leave the rear most body bushing in place and lift from the frt of the body with a engine hoist and slide the new pan in and get it fitted up , add screws to hold it in place and then set body back down , square the body back up to the frame and weld away , checking square as I go , i have done so many I can do this in one day now , I believe I have done this to at least 15 or 20 of the last Cutlass i have built . it you do it this way slow and steady wins the race . leave the windshield in and brace about 18 inches up on doors and across the body
Old April 20th, 2022, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Goldiewilson4mayor
I do full pans in one I buy all the time , i use full pans with rockers and braces , , i take the doors off , brace across the door opening with old bed frames and then brace across the body with more bedframe . then I leave the rear most body bushing in place and lift from the frt of the body with a engine hoist and slide the new pan in and get it fitted up , add screws to hold it in place and then set body back down , square the body back up to the frame and weld away , checking square as I go , i have done so many I can do this in one day now , I believe I have done this to at least 15 or 20 of the last Cutlass i have built . it you do it this way slow and steady wins the race . leave the windshield in and brace about 18 inches up on doors and across the body
sweet. i ended up doing the pan but my braces and rockers were solid, the pan was solid on the edges, so i cut it a 1/2'' inside the rocker seem, pulled the spot welds at the cowl, then i cut it across the rear seat pan brace leaving a lip for the new pan to rest on, as well as giving me a nice meaty surface under the butt weld to prevent any blow through. i posted pics of my progress on this thread here: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-162692/page2/