Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

New User, just bought 65 F85. Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM

New User, just bought 65 F85. Need Advice

Hey everyone. I'm Jesse. I just bought a 1965 cutlass f-85. Needs quarter panels and I don't know where to find some. Found some for alot of money. Is there any one who knows of any patch panels out there, so I don't have to replace the entire quarter. Also looking for info regarding where the identification numbers are located on the engine, so I can tell what it is. Pretty sure it's a 330, but want to be 100% sure. Thanks.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:00 AM
Past Administrator

Jesse,
Welcome to our site. We refer people to Fusik and Kanter all the time. They both have websites and deal in a lot of older Oldsmobile stuff. If you found full quarter panels they may be easier to fit than patch panels and the price may outweigh the extra man-hours required to make patch panels fit well, just a thought (I regurgitated from someone, someplace). Hope you enjoy your stay with us.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:12 AM

Welcome

Welcome aboard Jesse

Tell your brother Frank Hello for me.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
car guy

There are not even patch panels ava. for a 65. You have to make it or cut it out of a parts car. Post some pics and we can give you some direction.

welcome to the site
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:07 AM

Welcome to the site Jesse. Someone who has had a similar problem will chime in to help you. Stay tuned. Pictures help
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:25 AM

If you found good quarters...depending on the price...I would grab them...very very hard to find good quarters at any price....

A good body man will want a couple of thou to do both sides if he has to make the patch because of the wheel well flare....

I had a small hole in one of mine at bottom of the flare..the size of a dollar bill..I used part of a spare front fender for the flare and pieced together the rest using more material from the fender...took quite a few hours and a lot of patience/welding to do it right but it turned out very nice..

Just depends on the person...I like to try and do it myself...comes with the hobby I guess...I hate to farm anything out...

Good luck..

And if you dont want the quarters, post their location...I am sure there are others here who will jump on them
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the replies. Thanks 442scotty. Your reply gives me hope. I think I am going to try to piece them together. I did think of using a spare front fender. Now I know it's not a crazy idea. The wheel wells are all there. They are just rough right where the body flares out above the Wheel well lip.

Thanks again.