Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Mig Vs Tig

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Mig Vs Tig

Going to replace the roof skin around the windshield as well as part of the skin on the A piller . Freind that will be doing the welding of the 16 gauge sheet for this 1968 442 wants to use a tig weld. Every time i look up repairs everyone is using a mig. He tell's me the tig will be stronger.
Question is do i let him go through with it or is mig the proper way of doing this repair ?
Old February 19th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Administrator

I personnally like the tig. It gives a nice weld with filler rod and is easier to clean up! However, either one will work fine with an experienced welder.
Old February 19th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Listen to your friend. The articles on sheet metal patching use MIGs because they are cheaper and more likely to be in one's garage. TIGs are also perceived to be more difficult to learn. The weld bead from a TIG is softer and more easily metal finished after welding, resulting in a better final product. All the high end custom metalworking shops use TIGs.

Are you butt-welding or lap-welding the patch panels? Butt welding is preferred from a metal finishing standpoint.
Old February 19th, 2011, 10:44 AM

He's going to butt weld it. He prefers the tig as he works at a fab shop and that is what he wanted to bring over to do the repair for me.
I was just unaware if the tig would yeild the same results as the mig as welding is out of my expertise. Thanks for the info everyone. I'll let him go through with it. the quicker i get it done the quicker I get her painted and ready for the road for mid summer.
Old February 19th, 2011, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jim68-442
He tell's me the tig will be stronger.
MIG is a stronger weld. Can be used on car fabrication.

TIG is a more intricate weld. TIG is used in custom fabrication more.
It's alot more expensive, and considered the top tier of welding.

SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding) is the most common welding you'll find
out in the field though.
Old March 9th, 2011, 02:50 PM
ROCKET MADMAN

Either will serve you well but be carefull that the tig can apply more heat in a small area and may result in warpage. An expierenced tig welder will know this and will be causious of too much pedal. Good luck.
Old March 9th, 2011, 06:14 PM

There is some very good suggestions and input for both methods on this thread, I would suggest that you use the resources that are available to you.....whether it is mig or tig. On 16 gauge metal penetration/strength should not be a factor, 1/2" yes but your talking about sheet metal. Blowing holes through and warpage is more of a concern, Just ask Aron Nance!!!!!! If your friend is willing to help you and is skilled with tig.....go for it!!!!!!! Feed the man lunch, and keep the drinks full and good music to boot!!!!! If he is willing maybe he can get your feet wet at the same time. When it comes to welding sheet metal, skill/experience is everything and the fella who knows mig can make the the guy who says they tig look like a novice. Try not to get discouraged if the first bead does not look like it rolled out of Pratt&Whitney, as Billy Joe Shaver sings "If at first you don't succeed, Try and try again!!!!!!!" Good Luck