Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

a lot of body work to do

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2009, 10:02 AM

a lot of body work to do

Hi all.

I survived a car crash a few weeks back with practically no damage on me or anyone else... unlike my 1968 442. It seems that only the body (of the car) took damage, roof for most of all but also the skin panels on both sides of the car.

So now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the car. If I start to restore it, there are two options in my opinion:
1. I'll have someone to straighten the dents and the roof aswell
2. I get the skin panels and if possible the whole roof (body+skin) from some salvage yard.

I'll go with the cheaper option. The problem is I live in Europe so salvage yards specialized in old american cars are close to none to my knowledge, at least in the region where I live. Anyhow, to decide which option to go with I would appreciate any help trying to find part dealers, preferably from east coast since the parts need to be shipped to the old continent. So far I've found a bunch of dealers selling repro panels for 442s (Brother Automotive Products, Yearone...).

Also I would like to know what panels are interchangeable between 68 and 69 models. Same thing with cutlass VS 442. How about hardtop VS convertible (since the passenger side windows busted it may be cheaper to buy the whole passenger side door)?

I'll post some pics later on, thanks

MJ
Old October 27th, 2009, 10:10 AM
car guy

Without seeing it its hard to say but if it was hit hard enough to buckle the roof you may be better off floating a whole other car over and starting over.