Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Interior hood work on 64 88

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2013, 09:15 AM

Interior hood work on 64 88

These are before and after photos of the work I did on my hood. Kind of like it myself
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010916.jpg (60.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg
P1010914.jpg (62.2 KB, 25 views)
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:57 AM

That looks great, I need to do the same on my 63. Where did you get the insulation and fasteners?
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:23 AM

I purchased the pad at USA Auto Parts$32.55 delivered. A bit thinner then original but does the trick. Caution it can tear easily!! The fasteners are floor drain covers I purchased at home depot and I bought stainless bolts. I think the fasteners give it a better look then the small original ones, and given the fact I did not glue it to the hood it seemed prudent to attach the pad with larger fasteners. Thanks
Old June 4th, 2013, 01:43 PM

Looks really good!!! My hood looks like you starting pic. What all did you use to get it looking good.
Old June 4th, 2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Don R.
That looks great, I need to do the same on my 63. Where did you get the insulation and fasteners?
I had very good luck with this site:

http://www.rubbertherightway.com/#lo...er_id_61=61|63

I purchased hood insulation for my '67 Delta from this site, and it is just fine in shape, thickness, and appearance. It's U.S.-made. It's $24.50, but I don't know if that includes shipping.

My pad came with 5 fasteners at no extra charge. I don't see fasteners included for the piece for your '63, but those fasteners are only 75 cents each at Fusick. The only problem is their $25 minimum purchase. But fasteners can likely be gotten from other sources, if not from Rubber the Right Way itself.
Old June 4th, 2013, 04:09 PM

leroycjr...I gave it a good sanding and then applied a rust inhibitor purchased from a national brand parts store. ( small bottle @ $6.00) I applied two coats of primer and then two coats of high gloss auto paint...NOTHING FANCY. And as I wrote before I used floor drain covers purchased at Home Depot and stainless bolts. I did not use any glue on the hood.
Old June 4th, 2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by navvet
I used floor drain covers purchased at Home Depot and stainless bolts.
I have a question about this.

What is the purpose of the hood pad? As I understand it, it is to both act as a sound deadener and to protect the hood/paint from the heat of the engine.

By using metal fasteners, you have partly defeated the second purpose by providing a direct, metallic pathway between the engine side of the pad and the hood side, and as we all know, metals are about as good at conducting heat as they are at conducting electricity. So at least in the five spots where you have those stainless steel bolts, you have potential hot spots on your hood, including one right in the middle.

What's worse, those five large, round metal covers add to the problem by significantly increasing the heat transfer area. If it was just the heads of the bolts sticking through, it would be one thing, but the surface area for heat transfer has been increased significantly by the use of those round covers.

Does this all matter that much in the end? Probably not. But the reason that factory hood pad fasteners are made of plastic is probably not just because plastic is cheap. For one thing, it's also a poor heat conductor.

Last edited by jaunty75; June 4th, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old June 4th, 2013, 04:34 PM

I just did a little bit of math here. I'm guessing those round metal covers are, what, 4 inches in diameter? Together they have a surface are of about 63 square inches (5 x pi x 2^2). If you had used, say, round plastic of the same diameter but kept the stainless steel bolts, and assuming the bolt ends are, what, 1/2" in diameter, the total area of the five bolts by themselves is barely 1 square inch (5 x pi x (1/2)^2).

So you have increased the heat transfer surface area by a factor of 63.
Old June 4th, 2013, 05:47 PM

holy crap you guys could wreck a funneral
Old June 4th, 2013, 05:51 PM

Jaunty the original clips I rec'd were metal.. I take it you have never used your imagination on anything on your car, never changed a thing...you have way too much time on your hands to figure those numbers. How about this: Man sits at home multiply by boredom divide by who gives a @#$% = an opinion not required
Old June 4th, 2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by navvet
Jaunty the original clips I rec'd were metal.. I take it you have never used your imagination on anything on your car, never changed a thing...you have way too much time on your hands to figure those numbers. How about this: Man sits at home multiply by boredom divide by who gives a @#$% = an opinion not required
Hey, you don't know me at all. Don't go making assumptions about what I've done and not done with my cars. It so happens that I have, in fact, used my imagination in many situations.

But there are also times when no imagination was needed as a simple solution was available and straightforward.

No offense was intended. I stated what I thought was a very reasonable objection to what you did when factory-correct fasteners are available and dirt cheap.

If you want to run off and have a temper tantrum about it, that's fine, but childishness on this site is something we don't need.
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:18 PM

It,s a dynamic 88 NOT THE SPACE SHUTTLE
Old June 4th, 2013, 06:29 PM
72 Olds CS

haha navvet looks good nice job and i appreciate the ingenuity

jaunty its also nice to see the indepth analysis of the heat transfer which as you noted probably doesnt matter much at all

all in all it makes for a good read