Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

How bad does it look? Please Help

Old June 6th, 2011, 05:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/wa

How bad does it look? Please Help

After buying my car I realized that it was hit and wasn't fixed properly. Looks like that left was hit and the body lines are way off. The rear looks like it was fill and the dent is still there not taken out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2606.jpg (49.7 KB, 128 views)
IMG_2607.jpg (43.8 KB, 98 views)
IMG_2609.jpg (63.5 KB, 143 views)
IMG_2611.jpg (45.6 KB, 106 views)
IMG_2612.jpg (47.5 KB, 101 views)
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:04 PM

hard to tell from the pics, the quarter panel in the one pic does look like it was almost pushed out and up, but the other body lines don't look that much worse than others I have seen.
Old June 7th, 2011, 05:32 AM

Certainly looks like collision damage that was not fixed right in the past. What can you see from inside the trunk?
Also you are missing the rubber filler piece at the top edge of the bumper (if you did not know already).
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:26 AM

I have the rubber filler piece sitting in a box, I wanted to put those things on after its painted and body worked.
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:27 AM

Yeah and the dent is still there so filler has been used, also the trunk deck lid looks bent. How bad is it to get it fixed?
Old June 7th, 2011, 05:00 PM

[quote=theoldsrocket;288533]Yeah and the dent is still there so filler has been used, also the trunk deck lid looks bent. How bad is it to get it fixed?[/quote]

The repair will depend on the extent of the damage and from your photos, it's hard to get a feel for how much exists. But you definitely have some issues. Try posting a few photos of the car and show the entire back end of the car, the entire side of the damaged quarter, and the other quarter. You will also need to do a fair amount of detective work to see what you have.

As was mentioned by Rob, look inside the trunk area and see what the driver's quarter panel looks like inside. Run you hand along the inside of it (watch for sharp edges...maybe wear a work glove) and see if you can find areas that are wavy and get an idea of how deep the wave is compared to the outside of the panel. This will give you an idea of how deep the filler is assuming it is there. Remove the trunk mat if you have one and look at the trunk floor, especially in that drivers corner. See any waves in the floor that don't match up with the other side? Last place I would look is at the frame in that area. How does it compare to the other side? Now run you hand along the side of the frame above the rear axle. When the rear frames bend, they will baloon out in the upper curved area above the rear axle. Compare what you feel to the other side. Do you feel any buldges sticking out?

Now you'll need to grab your tape measure and start to take some measurements. You'll probably need a second person to help you. You will want to see if the back of the body is square or if it is out of place. To do this, open the trunk lid and place the end of the tape measure up into the corner of the drivers quarter panel and rear window molding and measure across to a point on the far rearward end of the passenger side quarter panel. Record that dmension. Now do the opposite by placing the end of the tape into the passenger top corner and measure to the same point on the driver's quarter as you did before. See if the measurements match and if not, how much difference do you have? Now in the same manner, take a similar X measurement using the inside lip of the trunk opening where the weatherstrip sits. Just be sure you are measuring the same points on each sies when you take the measurements. Do you have a difference in dimensions? If you do have different measurements, this will tell you how far the body is out of place back there. And if you find a difference, I would now do similar measurements to the rear frame. I would start by measuring from a point that exists in the same place for each side and I would start somewhere forward of the rear wheel. The body mount hole would work and use the one near the rear area of the rocker panel. Measure as best as you can from that point on the drivers side to the rear edge of the frame also on the drivers side. Do the same with the pass side and compare measurements. Next, do the measuring in an X manner using the same points and see what you have. you may have to try to thread the tape through a few things so the tape is running as straight as possible. If you have to bend around something, just make sure it's the same bend for both measurements. This is just to get an idea of what you have.

If everything measures out the same of within an 1/8" or so, I would say the body and frame is OK. That would be good news. It would also mean the damage is limited to just the sheetmetal on the drivers side and that panel can be pulled (probably by a body shop) to bring it back into place which should let everything align better. The deck lid may be repairable but if not, it's an easy panel to replace. Post what you find along with the extra photos and we'll see how bad (or good) it is.

One last thing...look at the gap between the door and quarter panel for both sides and see if they match.

Brian
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:17 AM

When u decide to buy a car u should u should search the best seller where they will give warranty and will give the good car. I have some information and I added at my post. You can pick up a bargain at an auction but you need to know what you are doing. Go as a spectator first but it is risky.2pass has teamed up with TEXTCHECK to introduce a new service which gives vehicle buyers instant car/motor-bike check access to authentic DVLA and POLICE information, as well as serious damage and written-off data from British Insurers.
Old June 11th, 2011, 11:45 AM

I bought this car locally from a private owner and I don't think I will get warranty. I have learned from my mistakes and know how to really get a good look at a car before buying it. I got it and now I have to deal with it and make it a beauty.