Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Fender Patch w/brace...can anyone identify?

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:59 PM

Fender Patch w/brace...can anyone identify?

Hi Guys,

Bought some dual gate parts from a Pontiac resto place called Performance years. The other day they sent me a catalog and I see someone makes lower fender patch panels for 66 thru 72 GTOs that are of excellent quality (meaning they fit) and include the inner brace! What I can't find out is who makes them. I'd like to find out so I can contact them to see if they'd consider making the same thing for us Olds guys. I checked Dynacorn and Goodmark and it's not their parts. Does anyone know who's stamping these? Says they're made in the USA in the catalog. I've sent an email to both Performance Years and Ames but haven't heard back yet.

thanks,
bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rpf70.jpg (20.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg
RPF77.jpg (15.0 KB, 29 views)
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:00 PM

possibly this co. they make a lot of parts including a complete 57 chevy body.

http://www.experi-metal.com/
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:51 PM

Hi comp,

I checked out that site....thanks. Looks like they stamp for Sherman, which is where I found the lower fenders in the first pic....which are for 66-67 GTOs. But none of the companies they listed have the 70-72 lowers....so that's still a mystery.

thanks,
bob
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:47 AM
Registered

This place will custom make panels to your specs or copy your old panels but it looks like mostly floors and rockers? They do carry the new 66-67 Buick Skylark lower fender patch panels and say everything they sell is made in Canada.

http://www.alfaparts.net/

For all the trouble that would be why not just find some rust free southwestern fenders and use them? I bought a pristine set from a guy in Arizona and had them shipped Greyhound. They were cheap because they're for a Vista with all the trim holes, easy enough to weld or lead in the holes or cut the lower section off for a repair patch if needed. The fenders had a few dings and dents but they're a lot easier to fix than rusted out ones and you have something good as new instead of cobbled together frankenfenders when you're finished.
Old November 24th, 2010, 05:39 AM

Hi Blue,

That's a rather interesting site! Seems prices are reasonable too. I've got two problems with southwest sheetmetal (ie, fenders). First, not all quote "southwest" sheetmetal is really rust free. I've bought quarters from the southwest, per se, and although they were useable......they were not pristine. So buying sheetmetal sight unseen is a little troubling for me. Second, with 70-72 Cutlass fenders they usually start to rot between the inner brace and the outer panel......an area that can't be seen from either side. Even southwest fenders that have not rotted thru yet would continue to rust much faster when brought up here to the east coast. Nothing would grind my gears more than installing used sheetmetal, spending a fortune to paint the car, and then have a rust spot pop up on a lower fender.

Don't get me wrong.....I appreciate good southwestern sheetmetal. I just bought a 70-72 door from there. I was able to send a friend to look inside the door to verify no rust had started, as well as view the outside of the seam. It appears pristine. I also got a decklid a few years ago from the southwest. Just not being able to see between the inner brace and the outer skin of a fender makes me weary. A frankenfender doesn't really bother me....I can weld straight and understand how to heatsink the area to prevent distortion. Knowing I've got new metal on the lower fender is worth the work to me. I understand not everyone will share that view.

Thanks again for the info!

regards,
bob