Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Electric Trunk Latch for 1972 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Electric Trunk Latch for 1972 Cutlass

OK, I must be blind but I cannot find an electric trunk latch for my 1972 cutlass convertable. I can put in anything but I want to weld up the lock hole and have it only electric opening.

It has got to be common, anybody?
Old January 16th, 2010, 01:04 AM

They are out there, you just have to find them. I got mine off ebay a couple years ago. I also had one on a 70 post car that I gave up with my 442 when I sold it (and now have back), but I didn't get the parts back when I got the car back. That's why I had to get it from ebay.
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:50 AM

The factory power trunk latch actuator for these cars is very hard to find. The Parts place wanted 120 for a used one 2 years ago.
From what I had learned a while back, the 70-72 Olds A-body used a unique style and shared with only the Buick. Other body styles were all different. Through the years Chevelle owners wanted to add them, drying up the used market. They are not reproed.
Evil bay and maybe the Parts place are my only sources to suggest, unless maybe a bone yard that specializes in old cars. They will be high dollar though.
Since you are going the custom route anyway, perhaps a custom engineered mechanism is in order.

Also, I would not recommend eliminating the lock. I know it would look nice, but what if the electric one fails, or sticks, or jams? This happened with my 86 Olds - the solenoid just jammed solidly (not rust). It was a challenge just to get the key to open it, but it finally opened. I am still trying to fix it.

Perhaps you can leave the key lock and just hide it very well somehow. Just my 2c...

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; January 16th, 2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:34 AM

I( have seen door lock actuators at different online parts places,maybe one oof them would work.
Old January 30th, 2010, 11:31 AM

Nope.

This is what he's looking for.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nk-set-up.html
Old January 30th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Oldsdruid

Check with a street rod vendor. They have all kinds of remote opening devices.

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
the 70-72 Olds A-body used a unique style and shared with only the Buick. Other body styles were all different. Through the years Chevelle owners wanted to add them, drying up the used market.

Hmm. Strange. I figured Chevelle and Skylark would have been the same since the 70-72 cars use the same decklid.

(Oops, just outed the Buick guys' secret, so they'll have to pay top-dollar for their decklids now just because it fits a stinkin' Chevelle!)

I don't understand Chevrolet mentality about adding all these options that 1) the car did not come with and 2) are not at all typical of the way Chevrolets were equipped.
Old January 30th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
The factory power trunk latch actuator for these cars is very hard to find. The Parts place wanted 120 for a used one 2 years ago.
From what I had learned a while back, the 70-72 Olds A-body used a unique style and shared with only the Buick. Other body styles were all different. Through the years Chevelle owners wanted to add them, drying up the used market. They are not reproed.
Evil bay and maybe the Parts place are my only sources to suggest, unless maybe a bone yard that specializes in old cars. They will be high dollar though.
Since you are going the custom route anyway, perhaps a custom engineered mechanism is in order.

Also, I would not recommend eliminating the lock. I know it would look nice, but what if the electric one fails, or sticks, or jams? This happened with my 86 Olds - the solenoid just jammed solidly (not rust). It was a challenge just to get the key to open it, but it finally opened. I am still trying to fix it.

Perhaps you can leave the key lock and just hide it very well somehow. Just my 2c...
Rob, I agree with you that not having an optional keyed entry is questionable; for exactly the reason you stated. The lock access can be dressed up with the decklid rocket optional trim from 70-72, which makes the lockset much less obvious.

On the other hand, rare? Not really. Pricey? depends on who you buy it from. There have been a whole whack of these for sale on ebay during the last 2 months. Prices have ranged from 45.00 - 177.00 for fully functional tested units complete with wiring and glove box escutcheon. The solenoid *round cylindrical* design for Olds is shared with buick, but other ones for chebby and poncho *flat style solenoid * will work just as good. You can also use the solenoid from the B Body cars with a minor adaptatation and it works really well. I got my P.Trunk release from evilbay 2 years ago. It's NOS Oldsmobile and only cost 25.00 + shipping. Just gotta shop around and watch for price opportunities.

Here's a link that shows the procedure quite nicely. http://www.buickperformance.com/pwrtrunk.htm
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:42 PM

yes, I have seen a ton of these on ebay lately - saw at least two or three today - many have sold for less than 100.00 but not sure of condition.
Old January 30th, 2010, 05:47 PM

here is one for sale

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nk-set-up.html

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...472&highlight=

Last edited by stevengerard; January 30th, 2010 at 07:49 PM.