Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Custom Cruiser lower chrome trim

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Custom Cruiser lower chrome trim

So I thought I'd be nice to my "new" Cruiser and take her through the car wash...well during the drying the chrome lower fender trim blew off on the passenger side. Looks like the clips broke that holds it into place. Anyone know where I can find replacements? Or will I have to end up sticking it back on with adhesive?

Guess I will manually wash from now on...haha.
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:04 AM

You might be able to find the clips at the local auto parts store. I got window trim clips from O'Reillys when I took the trim off of the rear window.
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Cool...thank you. Were your clips out in the store or did they order them for you?
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Oldsdruid

Depending on which piece it is, the clips may be hard to find. I used to get them thru the Buick-Pontiac dealer.

I finally realised that 3M moulding attachment tape works just as good, is near impossible to pull off with out some effort, and doesn't work loose and rattle. 3 pieces of the snake blinders on my Cruiser are attached with it and have been stuck tight for 9 years. Don't discount it. It's the same stuff the factory has used on scripts and emblems since the late 70s.
Old June 11th, 2009, 05:09 AM

The window trim clips were in the store near the HELP section. Rocketraider is correct though, if you can't find the clips then consider using the 3M tape. I have heard it works well.
Old June 11th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

The clips may or may not still be available from the GM parts system. If you have one of the old clips, there should be a part number molded on the back. A good parts counter person can look that up in the discontinued stock system, which searches what dealers may have on their shelves. Do it soon, as dealerships shut down the available stock gets smaller. I found an NOS weatherstrip for my tailgate window this way.

You can also try Auveco, who makes just about all the factory trim clips.

www.auveco.com.

If they do have what you're looking for, you can get your local auto paint store to order them from Auveco. Also, vendors like Restoration Specialties and RJ&L (http://www.rjlautofasteners.com/) have large stocks of current and obsolete Auveco parts.
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:16 AM

Thank you very much for your help! I'll try to look up the numbers on the clip, or I may just use the 3M tape...I bought some to put an emblem back on the tailgate. Seems like everyday I find something else wrong with this boat! LOL The joys of owning an old car.