Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Cowl Panel Replacement

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2017, 04:07 PM

Cowl Panel Replacement

My 1969 Cutlass wagon has rust in the cowl area, has anyone replaced theirs? Do I need to remove the entire dash assembly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
windows out1.jpg (161.9 KB, 96 views)
rust.jpg (157.5 KB, 93 views)
Old April 29th, 2017, 04:16 PM

That looks pretty ugly. You need to pull the glass for sure and see just how deep the rust goes. You also need to evaluate your skills and if this is something you can do or will have to farm out and pay someone else to repair. There's members here who've repaired bad rust. If you decide to try and fix it yourself I'd encourage you to start a thread on the topic where you can post pictures and questions as the project progresses.

Since you have serious rust here have you crawled over the body to see where else it has rust issues?

I focused on the second picture... just looked at the first where you have pulled the glass You can cut out the rust and weld in a section from a parts car. But I'd make sure you know what else is rusty before spending a ton of time here.

John
Old April 29th, 2017, 04:29 PM

Here are some pics from mine. I cut the dash back and will now weld in a new piece. Also under where the dash and cowl area come together will have some issues as well.
Attached Images
IMG_0309.JPG (2.47 MB, 89 views)
IMG_0322.JPG (2.11 MB, 84 views)
IMG_0323.JPG (1.90 MB, 87 views)
Old April 29th, 2017, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Trophyblue442
Here are some pics from mine. I cut the dash back and will now weld in a new piece. Also under where the dash and cowl area come together will have some issues as well.

Thanks for the photos, it looks like I will have to replace the the entire cowl panel, not just the top. The rust is pretty extensive. I was just hoping to not have to remove the dash.
Old April 29th, 2017, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
That looks pretty ugly. You need to pull the glass for sure and see just how deep the rust goes. You also need to evaluate your skills and if this is something you can do or will have to farm out and pay someone else to repair. There's members here who've repaired bad rust. If you decide to try and fix it yourself I'd encourage you to start a thread on the topic where you can post pictures and questions as the project progresses.

Since you have serious rust here have you crawled over the body to see where else it has rust issues?

I focused on the second picture... just looked at the first where you have pulled the glass You can cut out the rust and weld in a section from a parts car. But I'd make sure you know what else is rusty before spending a ton of time here.

John

I will post pics of the process, this is the only major area of rust in the whole body. Car came out of Texas.
Old April 29th, 2017, 05:41 PM

Where are you located? I believe a dash/cowl piece from a 4 door would work for you, which would be more common to find than a wagon. There's a couple members here who've parted out 68-72 4 doors in the recent past.

John
Old April 29th, 2017, 06:38 PM

Where are you located? I believe a dash/cowl piece from a 4 door would work for you, which would be more common to find than a wagon. There's a couple members here who've parted out 68-72 4 doors in the recent past.

John

I am located in south east VA, I am very interested if anyone has a rust free replacement from a parts car!
Old April 29th, 2017, 06:48 PM

OK, here's a couple threads to check on

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tlass-4dr.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ody-shell.html

You can also create a parts wanted thread, but I think these two members will have what you need.

John
Old April 30th, 2017, 06:48 AM

OK, here's a couple threads to check on

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tlass-4dr.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ody-shell.html

You can also create a parts wanted thread, but I think these two members will have what you need.

John
Thanks, I'll contact them!
Old May 11th, 2017, 12:55 PM

Just received a good used upper dash from Scott, Oldspackrat, thank you very much!