Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

best product?

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:11 PM

best product?

hey all I am the proud owner of a 64 dynamic 88.

I am currently trying to come up with a plan for how I'm going to attack my problem. I have removed all the interior and there is a little surface rust which i plan on sanding back. all i am wanting to know is what is the best product to seal the body after i have removed all of the rust.

any comments and ideas appriciated.

cheers.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:18 PM

POR 15 or Rust Blast from KBS Coatings is good. It will seal in the rust if you prep it according to the manufacturer's directions, and is easy to apply. They both have topcoats that are UV resistant. Just make sure you wear a respirator.

I'm sure someone in NZ is selling one or the other. Not cheap but they are good products.

-JJ
Old June 15th, 2013, 06:23 AM

Hi there Ozzy-welcome.

I too have used Por 15 with great results on a 54 Chev truck. For my olds though, with the surface rust, when the guys finished painting her, they doused her in fish-oil. Inside the door cavities, boot, under guards and inside roof. Stunk for 6 months but cannot smell it now, but you know how that fish oil is.

Jump on U-tube too, it gives good ideas.

John.
Old June 15th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ozzy-64
hey all I am the proud owner of a 64 dynamic 88.

I am currently trying to come up with a plan for how I'm going to attack my problem. I have removed all the interior and there is a little surface rust which i plan on sanding back. all i am wanting to know is what is the best product to seal the body after i have removed all of the rust.

any comments and ideas appriciated.

cheers.
What part of the body do you plan on "sealing", exactly? If you are talking about interior metal surfaces, like the floor pans, that will be covered by carpeting and interior material, then POR-15 or the equivalents would be a good choice. If you are talking about the exterior (or any parts that get body color), you should sand to bare clean metal and just use a quality epoxy primer and normal paint process.
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

POR-15 is great stuff in the right places like Joe talked about. Be sure to wear gloves, long sleeve shirt and long pants. If you get that stuff on you, nothing will take it off. You just have to wear it off. If don't use all of it, seal the lid with wax paper. Otherwise it will seal itself and you will never get it open.