Old February 10th, 2018, 12:01 PM

Aftermarket w 25 all glass lightweight springs

Anybody have luck with lightweight springs
On all glass bolt on hoods
Seems like lot of people say hood does not stay up
Some say they use factory springs
Trying to get some new opinions
Thanks

Last edited by olds3442; February 11th, 2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old February 11th, 2018, 07:35 AM
ph_ckstick1

I have not had a glass hood on an olds, but have on Pontiac's and chevy's.
not a fan of springs on the hoods, They seem to hold them up fine, but the force on the glass when it is in the hot sun can do finny things to the hood as you push down at the other end.. nice bows in them.. I rather get a prop from a newer car and use that, even if I was to use springs.. a good breeze can be enough to help push it down and off your head if under it..
Old February 11th, 2018, 10:08 AM
72 Olds CS

I had the parts place light weight springs on a glass tek hood w no problems opening, staying open, or closing the hood. My hinges were in good shape and operated easily.
Old March 5th, 2018, 04:11 PM

I have an aftermarket all fiberglass hood on my 71 Cutlass. I have a set of the "light" springs but they don't look anything like the originals so I initially put the original springs on the hood. The hood opened pretty easily and did not take a lot of effort to close. When it is down, there is no spring pressure on the hood, it just lays there. I used the original springs all last summer and have experienced no problems.

The W25 hood is a pretty long hood and unless you have a lightweight racing version meant to be pinned on, they still have some heft to them.

You may just want to try the originals and see how they work. perhaps someone who has had an all fiberglass hood for a number of years has had issues and will chime in.
Old March 5th, 2018, 04:19 PM

One of the Cutlass's I have has an all fiberglass hood with original hood hinges and springs, works fine
Old March 5th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Old School Olds

I have a pair on an aftermarket oai all fiber hood, they suck.
Old June 27th, 2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by 70wcar
I have an aftermarket all fiberglass hood on my 71 Cutlass. I have a set of the "light" springs but they don't look anything like the originals so I initially put the original springs on the hood. The hood opened pretty easily and did not take a lot of effort to close. When it is down, there is no spring pressure on the hood, it just lays there. I used the original springs all last summer and have experienced no problems.

The W25 hood is a pretty long hood and unless you have a lightweight racing version meant to be pinned on, they still have some heft to them.

You may just want to try the originals and see how they work. perhaps someone who has had an all fiberglass hood for a number of years has had issues and will chime in.
which brand hood do you have?
Old June 27th, 2018, 06:00 PM

I have a all fiberglass repop hood on my Cutlass. I bought the light springs and used them from the beginning. Never tried it with the original springs. It is OK, the hood stays up fine and opens/closes easily.
Old June 27th, 2018, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I have a all fiberglass repop hood on my Cutlass. I bought the light springs and used them from the beginning. Never tried it with the original springs. It is OK, the hood stays up fine and opens/closes easily.
what brand do you have? How did it fit?