Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

72 Supreme body work

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2017, 10:50 AM

72 Supreme body work

Hi everyone I'm trying to get the area where the top of the rear quarter and the bottom of the roof meet down along the side of the trunk flat. The problem is that I can't find a block to use to fit all the different contours. if any one has had to use filler in this area what have you used to get it straight. Any advice is appreciated.
Old July 5th, 2017, 10:55 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Styleline soft sanders. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...3RYaAruw8P8HAQ
Old July 5th, 2017, 10:58 AM

Also the motor gaurd memory block is amazing. This is another really good kit to have.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/MTGAP-1_2.h...AqQaAuE88P8HAQ
Old July 5th, 2017, 11:22 AM

Thank you just ordered the set from Summit.
Old July 18th, 2017, 10:46 AM

So I called Summit today because I haven't received the sanding blocks and was told they are on back order, I wish they would have let me know. But they made good on it they are giving me next size set for the same price. I am just going in circles with my car. I just want to get it done this year. I need to make a plan so I stop jumping from one thing to another.
Old August 22nd, 2017, 07:45 PM

Also what may help you when you get the blocks is cutting the body filler "green," what that means is start sanding and shaping before filler gets real hard. Use 36 or 40 grit. There is about a 10 minute window for that so you have work quickly.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by olwreckman
Also what may help you when you get the blocks is cutting the body filler "green," what that means is start sanding and shaping before filler gets real hard. Use 36 or 40 grit. There is about a 10 minute window for that so you have work quickly.
Thanks for the info. Where in New England are you from? I live in R. I.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 07:06 PM

I live in Arkansas now,30 years. I moved from Mass years ago, small town central Mass.I lived very close to hwy 146 to R.I.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 07:53 PM
Cory

Appear to be in stock here:
Amazon Amazon
Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Townie
Hi everyone I'm trying to get the area where the top of the rear quarter and the bottom of the roof meet down along the side of the trunk flat. The problem is that I can't find a block to use to fit all the different contours. if any one has had to use filler in this area what have you used to get it straight. Any advice is appreciated.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:51 PM

the days of cutting filler with 36 grit are over. most premium fillers you can cut with 80 grit and cuts like butter. I work in production shop 90+ book hrs a week and its rare and i mean rare i bust out the 36 grit. I will cut it "green" or before its fully cured but i take old sheets of 80 grit and bust the top layer off until i can hit it with a fresh sheet. The problem with cuttin with 36 grit is most time you have to put filler over the 36 scratches and it will shrink. Its happened to me. the finer the finish the better the job. Just my 2 cents.
Old August 24th, 2017, 11:18 AM

In my 59 years of body work I have never encountered a problem using 36-40 grit. Bare in mind this instruction is for shaping a base.Another coat will probably be needed.No shrinkage. It sounds like you are using :Rage" or putty coat.Much more expensive,When offering tips here I always keep in mind the person I am advising may have little to no experience.
Old August 24th, 2017, 03:32 PM

Putting filler over 36 grit scratches is asking for trouble in my opinion and many will agree todays fillers do not need an aggressive grit at all. Plus good metal work and properly applying filler eliminate the need for 36 grit to be honest. Like i said if i do use 36 grit i leave enough to finish it with 80 grit before the next coat of filler. The smoother every step has been finished there is less room for error shrinkage etc etc. I use z grip or usc kromate lite. Both good choices that sand good and price is right where most are happy. I rarely use over 1/8 of filler on anything so the heavy shaping ia not really needed. I usually block all my work start to finish and never even do initial cutting with any air tools.

Last edited by coppercutlass; August 24th, 2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old November 27th, 2017, 03:44 PM

Finally finished almost

Well after block sanding for the third or fourth time my car is finally painted It’s
been over 10 years since she had color on her. Sorry the pictures are side ways.
What do you think of the color?
Attached Images

Last edited by Townie; November 27th, 2017 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Pictures
Old November 27th, 2017, 05:27 PM

Looking good. I would add some subtle stock style pinstriping but thats just me.
Old November 27th, 2017, 06:18 PM
72 Olds CS

I like the color, im w copper maybe white pinstriping, do you have any of the chrome trim pieces like for the rain gutters or around the windows or wheel wells that would make it look really snappy.

IDK if you know but the grills are 71 supreme grills if your interested in some 72 supreme grills PM me
Old November 27th, 2017, 06:47 PM

Thanks, I have all the moldings that the car was born with, but I’m not putting the body side moldings back on. White pin stripe down the sides and maybe on the hood. As far as the grills go I like the look of the 442 grills. Unfortunately the car is going into storage for the winter so everything will have to wait until spring.