Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

'69 convertible quarter peak moulding clips

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2016, 09:52 AM

'69 convertible quarter peak moulding clips

I've removed the stainless quarter peak moulding from my '69 442 convertible. The clips that attach the molding are rectangular plastic with a small 'tooth' that inserts through the sheetmetal. The original clips each have a very small sealing element around each 'tooth' (like a small diameter o-ring).
I've purchased aftermarket clips from Fusick which look identical to the originals except they don't have the small o-ring seal around the 'tooth'. Any suggestions on what to use to replace the seal? Anyone who's ever removed the trim to repaint one of these cars has to have run across this problem.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/solutions.
Old January 26th, 2016, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by acavagnaro
I've removed the stainless quarter peak moulding from my '69 442 convertible. The clips that attach the molding are rectangular plastic with a small 'tooth' that inserts through the sheetmetal. The original clips each have a very small sealing element around each 'tooth' (like a small diameter o-ring).
I've purchased aftermarket clips from Fusick which look identical to the originals except they don't have the small o-ring seal around the 'tooth'. Any suggestions on what to use to replace the seal? Anyone who's ever removed the trim to repaint one of these cars has to have run across this problem.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions/solutions.
The ones I bought from Fusick five or six years ago, when I was finishing my car, had the o-ring on them but the o-ring was too thick to work correctly. The clip would not snap into the slotted hole properly. I ended up removing the o-rings and added a little silicone caulking and the fastener worked fine.