Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

65 Cutlass Rear Qtr Patch

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM

65 Cutlass Rear Qtr Patch

I need to repair/replace the lower rear quaters on my 65 Cutlass Convertable. The inners are available at OPGI but the outers are not available. (Or are they?) The question is how different is the lower on the 66? This is just the area below the molding. Would it be easier to doctor up the 66 panels rather that fabricate something from scratch? Any other GM A bodys close in this area?
Any advice is appreciated.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Mikes65
I need to repair/replace the lower rear quaters on my 65 Cutlass Convertable. The inners are available at OPGI but the outers are not available. (Or are they?) The question is how different is the lower on the 66? This is just the area below the molding. Would it be easier to doctor up the 66 panels rather that fabricate something from scratch? Any other GM A bodys close in this area?
Any advice is appreciated.
1965 is the same as 1964. 66 and 67 are the same but different from 64/65. Sorry.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:32 PM

Thanks Joe. Do you think the 66/67 is close enough/worth it to doctor up or is it necessary to shape them from raw materials. I bet 3 months after I am done they will be available. Seems like more and more is becoming available aftermarket. I was surprised to see the inners are now available.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Thanks Joe. Do you think the 66/67 is close enough/worth it to doctor up or is it necessary to shape them from raw materials. I bet 3 months after I am done they will be available. Seems like more and more is becoming available aftermarket. I was surprised to see the inners are now available.
If the inners are available, it is only because they are the same on a Chevelle...
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
car guy

What excatly are you calling the inners? The trunk drop offs? There is no 1/4 patches for a 64-65 that I have seen. The only option is making them or cutting out of another car.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:33 PM

It is the trunk drop off. I was surprised to see them available and I am sure they are for Chevelle etc ---so that is why I was thinking some other A body may have similar lower rear qtrs. If they are the same across the bottom they must be somewhat the same shape and length. here is only a 4 to 5 inch strip visible under the molding and there is really no body lines that low. My car had crudely made patch panels made from some old duct sheetmetal. The seam was under the molding and they were riveted across the bottom. From 5 feet away they looked great.
Old March 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

It is the trunk drop off. I was surprised to see them available and I am sure they are for Chevelle etc ---so that is why I was thinking some other A body may have similar lower rear qtrs. If they are the same across the bottom they must be somewhat the same shape and length.
They are not. The only part that's the same is the flange at the very bottom where the inner dropoff is spot welded to the bottom of the fender. The contour of the outer fender is different, as is the wheel opening shape and the wheel opening lip contour.
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Joe is correct, I just got my 64 trunk drop offs from OPG took 8 weeks! Will beworking on hoe too carefully remove the spot welds on the bottom where they are spot welded to the bottom the the QRT. I am going to have a body shop make and install my rear qtr.patch panels.