Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

1970 442

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2016, 10:49 AM

1970 442

I'm looking for someone experienced to restore a 1970 442. I would prefer someone who has a small shop, thorough, and reasonable. The car will need body work, paint, interior, front end work including the W-25 hood. We need to remove the engine and drivetrain, so that the mechanical work can be completed concurrently. The air conditioner doesn't work. There are probably a million other things needed. This is a good opportunity for the right person. Prefer a person in New Jersey, Delaware,Pennsylvania, Virginia, or New York. Let me know if you're interested. You'll be working for the owner and the responsibility turning this frog into a prince. Send private message with contact information. Thanks

Last edited by twilightblue28A; February 15th, 2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old February 15th, 2016, 12:30 PM

Do you have a budget?

Unless the car is sentimental, you could spend much more on it than it is worth.

Resto shops get at least $60 an hour or more.

One week of labor is $2400. A good paint job can take 2-300 hours, plus materials.

It is easy to drop $40k or more.
Old February 15th, 2016, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by My442
Do you have a budget?

Unless the car is sentimental, you could spend much more on it than it is worth.

Resto shops get at least $60 an hour or more.

One week of labor is $2400. A good paint job can take 2-300 hours, plus materials.

It is easy to drop $40k or more.
And to add, you can cut your labor cost almost in half if you have this work done almost anywhere EXCEPT where you've specified.
Old February 15th, 2016, 07:02 PM

I don't understand what you mean when you say "and to add,you can cut your labor cost almost in half if you have this work done anywhere EXCEPT where you've specified." Where have I specified?
Old February 15th, 2016, 08:48 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think this was what he was talking about "in New Jersey, Delaware,Pennsylvania, Virginia, or New York". This was copied from your post.
Old February 15th, 2016, 09:42 PM

Thank you. I suggested New Jersey, Delaware,Pennsylvania, Virginia, or New York only because I am familiar with the area. I'm willing to send the car to an area where the work can be performed properly irrespective of the geographic area. Although my preference is the area closest to my residence, this is not a required providing the work is done professionally and properly. Maybe a couple of mechanics working in a small shop?? I hope this clarifies this issue. But the work must be done right. Thank You
Old February 16th, 2016, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
I don't understand what you mean when you say "and to add,you can cut your labor cost almost in half if you have this work done anywhere EXCEPT where you've specified." Where have I specified?
I paid $40/hr in rural upstate NY. I wish I could recommend the place, but I can't. Their workmanship was average and it didn't have anything to do with the hourly rate. I'm sure there are places in my area that charge the same or even less that do great work, I just haven't found them yet.
Old February 16th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
Although my preference is the area closest to my residence, this is not a required providing the work is done professionally and properly.
Rather then search in such a broad area as you have suggested... Lessen your search to a mileage range from where you are located, say 50-100 miles (1 or 2 hours away)... This might give you a little more control & confidence in the project and the individuals chosen to complete it... Also, try to stay away from a shop whose main job focus are insurance claims, these jobs will always come ahead of your project, which may constantly change your time schedule for completion... There are a few shops that can handle both, and man them accordingly, but you will really have to do your homework to find them... There are a few here in upstate NY (Albany area) but I have no idea what their current pricing is since I haven't used any of them in a while or know anyone who has...

Here's one example: http://www.lazzarosautobody.com/

Last edited by CRUZN 66; February 16th, 2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old February 16th, 2016, 09:32 AM
Administrator

I would suggest to take your time, attend some car shows and ask some of the local clubs who they might suggest. Also if there is an Olds Club chapter in your neck of the woods may be a good source for referrals.
Old February 16th, 2016, 09:41 AM
delete

IDK about prices, but a friend of mine had work done by these guys and was happy. They are in NH.
You also need to quantify how important correctness is to you. That will make a big difference in the selection process.

http://mission442.com/
Old February 16th, 2016, 01:14 PM

Repair Shops

To Cruzn 66 and Droptopron,

Thank you for some very effective ideas. I put several calls into mission 442 and also an email with no response. I appreciate your referral. I hope they are still operating. Again, I appreciate your offer to help. Thank you

Last edited by twilightblue28A; February 16th, 2016 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Getting typing in proper space
Old February 17th, 2016, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
IDK about prices, but a friend of mine had work done by these guys and was happy. They are in NH.
You also need to quantify how important correctness is to you. That will make a big difference in the selection process.

http://mission442.com/
Matt Woods (Mission 442) does fantastic work. I can vouch for what he does. PM me if you would like.