Ceramic coating vs PPF

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2018, 12:43 AM

Ceramic coating vs PPF

I registered because I am considering getting my car protected…
I live in a place where it rains very often and the roads are not so good, I can see the damages caused by the road and the rain: scratches from stones and watermarks from acidic rains.

I looked for a solution and the best I could find so far were Paint Protection Films or Ceramic Coatings.

Firstly: PPF consist of wrapping your car in plastic to protect it from scratches and micro marrings. It is the best protection against stones. The problem is that it is pricy and it can alter the shine and looks.

Secondly: ceramic coating, it is a liquid coating (some are oil based and some are water based) it is cheaper, gives a shiny look and good protection (9H pencil-scale), it also makes the surface easier to clean thanks to hydrophobicity. On the other hand, the final result depends how well the guy who applies it works and it the protection provided is less good than for films.

Doing more researches online I discovered this company called IGL Coatings that advertises a 10H hardness coating called Kenzo, and I thought I’d go for them since it is the best combination of protection and shines! But I am still a beginner in coatings so I’d like some more experienced guy’s advice.

So my question for you is, which one should I go for: PPF or Kenzo?

Thanks in advance!
Old June 4th, 2018, 04:53 AM
Gary

I used Expel film on the lights, nose, front sheet metal, and small areas behind the wheels of my GT. It provides nearly 100% protection from rocks and has more gloss than the paint. It has a 6 year guarantee

I stopped the film about 2 feet from the nose and people rarely notice the film. It's only been a few times--at car shows--that I've seen people notice this. No one casually looking has ever mentioned it.

This may a a useful combination with the liquid protectant on the rest of the car's finish. I can't offer any experience with the liquids.
Old June 4th, 2018, 08:45 PM

Thanks for your reply VC455!
How about a combo of both? Applying the PPF on the most exposed areas and coat the rest in order to have a better shine and also to save a few bucks since PPF is much more expensive than coatings?
Old June 7th, 2018, 07:35 PM

Combining both would allow you to have the best protection from the PPF and the shine and hydrophobicity from the ceramic coating!
It is expensive but if you're looking for both then I think a combination of both is the way to go!