1971 442 roof molding question

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2017, 10:04 AM

1971 442 roof molding question

this may be hard to understand and explain! Does anyone know where I can get the chrome door moldings that screw into the to of the roof where the weatherstrip goes for the window. It has a pillar molding, a corner piece, and a molding that runs the length of the drivers door and quarter window. It's not the roof rail drip molding. Will post pictures soon. Can't seem to find it anywhere????
Old March 5th, 2017, 08:09 PM

Usually called the Roofrail Weatherstrip Molding Channels....they are stainless steel, not chrome.

The small corner pieces are repro'd but not sure on the long roofrail stainless piece or the A pillar piece.

You should be able to find nice used pieces on this site from someone like Scott Winn ("Oldspackrat") or some other folks that have parted out cars.
Old March 5th, 2017, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Usually called the Roofrail Weatherstrip Molding Channels....they are stainless steel, not chrome.

The small corner pieces are repro'd but not sure on the long roofrail stainless piece or the A pillar piece.

You should be able to find nice used pieces on this site from someone like Scott Winn ("Oldspackrat") or some other folks that have parted out cars.

Thanks for the help!
Old March 5th, 2017, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Microreedy
Thanks for the help!
Sorry forgot to ask! Can you tell me where to get the repro corner pieces?
Old March 5th, 2017, 11:05 PM

You probably won't need the repro corner pieces as whoever has the longer stainless pieces likely has those as well....just make sure the black plastic portions of the corner pieces aren't broken off.

If you do need the corner pieces I'm not sure who carries them...maybe someone like Original Parts Group (but they're notorious for higher prices).

I'll check on all the pieces locally as I'll be at one place this week that likely has them. These won't necessarily be cheap to buy (good used OR new/repro) and shipping may be expensive since the longer stainless pieces for your model car are 56" long (I just measured one from one of my cars -same body style).

Don't know where you're located but finding good used in your area would probably save you quite a bit (no shipping).

There's a riveted-on metal retainer tab on the long roofrail piece and the A-pillar piece......if you're shopping around on used pieces make sure those tabs are still in place. These tabs are plastic coated metal and while the plastic is worn away or missing and the underlying metal tab is rusted, the tabs can be cleaned, smoothed out/pitting filled and then painted black so those parts will look much better again.

The long roofrail piece and the A-pillar piece also used a thin black foam tape along the topside to seal them against the body metal.

You can source the tape locally or even leave the original tape in place if it happens to be in good shape.....I also have the tape here (new one-sided adhesive black foam tape).

For your reference/info:

>If you're looking at used moldings make sure the A-pillar stainless moldings are from a HARDTOP car and not a convertible car.

>Hardtop A-pillar stainless moldings are 19-1/4" end-to-end

>Convert A-pillar stainless moldings are 18-1/2" end-to-end

Convert A-pillar moldings will not work on your hardtop.

Get the somewhat-unique attaching screws along with the moldings if your screws are missing....they have a wide flat head on them and can also be purchased new. A good used parts guy like Scott should have the attaching screws with the trim pieces.

Do yourself a favor and add your location to your profile.
Old March 6th, 2017, 03:08 PM

Thanks for the referral & tips Patton! I texted him some pix of some today.