Vista Cruiser Rear Airfoil Wing

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2011, 09:40 PM

Vista Cruiser Rear Airfoil Wing

Hey guys I need some help.

I have a rear airfoil wing for my 1971 Vista that I've been planning on putting on for a while now, I'm just not sure how to go about doing so. I figured I'd ask the rest of you more experiences Oldsmobile enthusiasts if you knew anything about installing them... It's basically ready to go on I'm just waiting to figure out how to hold it on there without having to take down my headliner. It looks like if I were to try to reach in from the inside of the car with a bolt then I would have to take off that piece with the lamp that's attached to the headliner... Let me know what you guys suggest and I'll try to figure this out.

Thanks!,
-Jimmy
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Registered

That part inside with the light in it is part of the roof structure and doesn't come off, not very easily anyway.
You can't get to the back of the air deflector or roof rack screws.

I screwed mine on with the same type self-tapping Phillips oval head screws as the roof rack, about an inch long for the deflector IIRC.
The chassis service manual (last page before the index) shows the deflector attached with 10-16 x 3/4" oval head machine screws (#9437376), and rubber well nuts (#528846).
The roof rack is attached with the tapping screws factory, dealer accessory installed with well nuts or screws.
Mine was screwed on so I figured why not screw the deflector on, I know the well nuts seal the hole but drilling those 3/8" holes bothers me and if the screws loosened the well nuts would lose their grip and the spoiler would fly off.
I put some black 3M strip caulk/Dum Dum in and over the screw holes to get a good seal to the roof and no leaks on that or the rack.
Sears Hardware by me has the well nuts and may have the machine screws in stainless or possibly chrome, they had the oval head tapping screws in stainless.
Auveco catalog items are available through Clips and Fasteners, Northland or AMK should have all the stuff too if you want to get it online..
The rack is located on the roof with the back of the feet/base gasket just a little bit up from the roofline across the back on mine.
I'm not sure exactly where they were located originally, just went by others I've seen. The manual illustratation doesn't even look like the deflector, they used a jig at the factory and a template came with the dealer accessory unit for the hole drilling locations so no numbers.
The backs of the feet/gasket went from even to about 3/8" up from the roofline, but with these cars plus-minus 3/8 of an inch is usually well within their exacting tolerances.
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:01 PM

Ok that's very helpful, thank you! Could you possibly link me the style of well nuts you would suggest?