vinyl preservation

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2014, 07:43 PM

vinyl preservation

I am new to the board...I just took delivery on a 73 Cutlass Supreme that is in great shape but the vinyl top is showing some age...it's got some very minor cracking and slight discoloration..no indication of any rust bubbles are showing and the car has been garaged it's whole life...At some time in the future I might replace the vinyl but for now would like to give it a preservative/dressing...I've used some of the current detailing products on other cars in the past and when it gets wet it runs all over the paint..trying to avoid that..is there a really good quality vinyl preserver and dressing that works well on the old 70's tops? Any thoughts much appreciated.
opos
Old April 6th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

303 Aerospace Protectant is the best stuff you can get. I get it at West Marine. I have not seen it in an auto parts store. It cost more but in my opinion it is well worth it.
Old April 6th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Hookers under Hood

Prior to removing my vinyl roof and going with repainting it and fixing the holes I used liquid plastic urethane and brushed it on, I only had it on for a year n a half so any longer who knows how long it would stand up. Never had to armor all it thou.
Old April 7th, 2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
303 Aerospace Protectant is the best stuff you can get. I get it at West Marine. I have not seen it in an auto parts store. It cost more but in my opinion it is well worth it.
Man I must have had a brain cramp..I ran an offshore fishing boat for years and used 303 a lot..it is amazing stuff...haven't been around the boats for the past 5 years or so and just forgot about it..we got a West Marine nearby and I recall they do carry it..that's just what I needed for a "friendly reminder"..thanks
opos
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:26 AM

I use Collonite 855. Its for marine vinyl use, a creme colored liquid and can be purchased thru amazon or ebay. The produsct should be lightly buffed and apply apply a second coat. If it rains on the roof it will not bleed onto the paint like Armour All. Several years ago I called Turtle wax and encouraged them to make their Vinyl Top Wax. That was the best stuff out there.
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

Originally Posted by redoldsman
redoldsman,
I picked some of this up the other day at the local marine store, and tried it on my 44k orig AMC Concord. I live in the country on gravel. I did all vinyl and tires with the 303 product. Im very impressed with the product, and it now replaces all like products on my shelf!!! Very little dust sticking and has that factory sheen I love. Thanks for the tip.