Plasti-Dip temporary vinyl top

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:19 PM

Plasti-Dip temporary vinyl top

My car originally had a vinyl top. Previous owner had it repainted, put the trim back on for the top, but never had the top installed.

I wasn't 100% confident if I'd like the top, so I used Plasti-Dip to create a fake vinyl top. I think it looked great, and plan on having it installed before next spring. Will also have a new windshield installed, and medium tint on all glass except windshield.

Here is a slideshow of the process.

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/bl...ow/Vinyl%20Top

IMG_0893_zps1d3ccf4e.jpg

Last edited by Mr Nick; October 3rd, 2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 08:19 PM
Gary

Nice!
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:16 PM

very creative. Impressive how well it came off too.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:30 PM

I used Plasti-Dip on my roof too!

I haven't posted any pictures yet, but I also used Plasti-Dip on the roof on my 65 Cutlass/442. The car was an original two tone model with a beige bottom and a gold (Mohave Mist) top. I changed the color of the interior to a Platinum and Oyster combination, so the Gold roof had to go. I was kind of in a hurry and didn't have the time or funds to do an actual repaint of the roof at this time. I dipped the roof with whats called "True Metallic Aluminum" and then one coat of Glossifier. It looks great! I left it on all summer and it is still perfect. Most folks think its a vinyl top and they are really intrigued when I tell them its Plasti-Dip and I can peel it off if and when I want too.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 11:07 PM
NOVICE car nut

That is really cool .
Old October 4th, 2014, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by rcdynamic88
I haven't posted any pictures yet, but I also used Plasti-Dip on the roof on my 65 Cutlass/442.
Would like to see pictures if you have a chance to post some.

I have a 442 hood that will also be going on as the budget allows. I'm leaning towards pin stripes around the edges of the "humps" only, but may use Plasti-Dip again to do full stripes and see how I like it.

Blacked out trim and bumpers too? Would look sharp on a white car... Could get carried away with this stuff!
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Interesting product. Just a question - I noted you didn't scuff the paint prior to installation (for obvious reasons), but if you had, would the covering have come off that easily? When vinyl roof goes down, the top does get scuffed for better adhesion of the glue.
Old October 4th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by Allan R
Interesting product. Just a question - I noted you didn't scuff the paint prior to installation (for obvious reasons), but if you had, would the covering have come off that easily? When vinyl roof goes down, the top does get scuffed for better adhesion of the glue.
I seen grills wheels done both ways this stuff is like a rubber coating comes off either way last about a year and a half thru car washes and all
Old October 4th, 2014, 08:09 PM

That looks really nice with the black top. How long did you leave it on for before peeling it off? Does it really peel off as easy as they say?
Old October 5th, 2014, 12:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Maybe I'm not getting this, but why would you want a product that would be easy to remove after installation? Especially on wheels (like Polycast I'm thinking)
Old October 5th, 2014, 03:34 PM

I did not scuff the roof, like you said. However, I do have a couple scratches and a paint chip in the roof, and the plasti-dip did NOT pull off totally clean from those spots. So I would imagine, if you scuffed the surface, it would not pull off as easily. I was able to remove it easy from the scratches by rubbing my finger on it, or using a toothpick to get it out.

I does come off easy, in fact it would have come off easier if I put it on thicker. I've seen videos online where people grab a full panel worth and pull it off with two hands. I had to be careful and peel it off slowly, like a big piece of sunburn. You can see the finish isn't even, because I didn't spray it on thick enough. I'm used to spray cans of actual paint, but this stuff needs to go on thick.

I had it on for a week, enough to take it for a few drives and walk past it in the garage a handful of times, to be confident I wanted to put a real vinyl top on.
Old October 5th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Of course the application of the vinyl roof will be done properly and the car will be pampered unlike when it was originally built and delivered. Back in those days it was quick production and I'm sure the vinyl shops at Fisher had their hands full. Likely the cars weren't prepped as well as we'd have hoped because the average expected life span (ownership) of the car was only supposed to be around 4-7 years.

Looking forward to seeing your final product installed.
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:53 PM

Some Pics of the Plasti-Dip Roof On My 65 Cutlass

I wanted to get some pictures while the car was outside today, but the daylight got away from me...here are some I took in the garage

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

This is two coats of Gunmetal Gray, three coats of Aluminum True Metallic and a two light coats of Glossifier. The stuff is tougher than you might think. After all, its primary use before someone figured out you could spray it was to dip the handles of your tools (like Channel Locks, etc.). Although you can peel it off, it doesn't just start to come of on its own, you have to work at it. My youngest son did his entire BMW sedan with an Anthracite Grey and its been on there through a Michigan winter. To see all that you can do with Plasti-Dip you need to go to dipyourcar.com and watch some of the videos. They keep adding more colors all the time.
Old October 11th, 2014, 08:04 AM

Thanks for posting pictures, that looks fantastic! Did you use spray cans, or buy the dipyourcar spray gun kit?

This makes me question spending $550-750 (two quotes I received) to get a vinyl roof installed.
Old October 11th, 2014, 09:05 AM
NOVICE car nut

That does look good . I was going to take the vinyl the rest of the way off on my car some day once I get a couple areas repaired ( if ever ). I think this may be another option if this ever happens .
Old October 11th, 2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mr Nick
Thanks for posting pictures, that looks fantastic! Did you use spray cans, or buy the dipyourcar spray gun kit?

This makes me question spending $550-750 (two quotes I received) to get a vinyl roof installed.
I bought one of their kits with a sprayer and 3 gallons of dip. I had checked out getting a vinyl top too, I was given a quote of $900. The guy that has done paint work for me in the past wanted $1200 to paint it.
Old October 11th, 2014, 11:57 AM
jfb

hey nick congrats on the olds and the feelings and sensations from running,they stay with you forever and strongly. I had someone chew up a fabric top with a razorblade on another car and never found out whom you know the chicken---- kind man. i used light gravel guard after a clean and scuff on the roof and disconnected the battery and taped and put on plastic sheeting and used sprayable rust oleum for the right hue or richness and used a chart for its hue. I used and get this afterwards interior dressing bi weekly to keep the hue just right, I know it works good luck again. the total cost when looking around about 15 to 20 bucks. vinyl and fabric tops can be a pain to install or very expensive when done.
Old May 26th, 2015, 08:07 PM

I put a few more coats of black/charcoal mixed on it before winter. I prefer straight up black.

I'm still on the fence about doing a real vinyl top or doing a good final spray of PlastiDip.

Here's a fun little video of me removing it.

View My Video
Old July 14th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Photoshop God

That's an awesome idea to try before going all in. Plastidip is great. I had the wheels on my 4Runner powder coated flat black and I plastidipped the center caps. The match was so close no one would know.