Mig welding help

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Mig welding help

I had some rust on my truck so I bought a replacement panel, cut out the rusted area (about 6x6 area). I haven't mig welded in 20 years and just couldn't get my welder set up right so I haven't been able to weld in the panel. I am looking for someone in my area that could weld this patch in for me, I would pay of course. I am in between Columbus In and Nashville In. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Sm
Old September 11th, 2013, 06:42 PM

I dont think you lost your touch... perhaps there is a problem with the welder's ground or shielding gas regulator.
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

How old is your wire?

My old man's HTP welder worked great when we got it 25 years ago, but over the years, it seemed to lose its savoir faire.
We never did major work with it, but it was always around to do a job here or there.
As the years went on, the occasional annoying wire glitches grew more frequent, and finally, you couldn't run it for more than a few seconds without getting giant knots of wire inside.
He replaced the tube liner (they wear) but it didn't help.

One day last year, I was helping him do a small but important welding job, and it just wouldn't work, not even for a few seconds. He called HTP and talked to them. They said to check the wire, and sure enough, the copper-plated steel wire had very slight, almost imperceptible, surface rust, all along it.

He ordered a couple of new rolls of wire, I installed one when they came, and, BANGO! it worked just like new.

If you can't get a good weld, and your welder has been sitting, consider getting a new reel of wire.

- Eric
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:24 AM
71 cutlass convertible

x2 on the new wire. Had same problem due to rusty wire.

Larry
Old September 12th, 2013, 06:43 AM

Gotta ask ... what about your gas? I'm guessing you're not using a 20 year old bottle of argon.
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

What's wrong with using a 20 year old bottle of argon, which is an elemental noble gas?

- Eric
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:30 AM

I run a welding shop, and am a welder myself. A new roll of wire is the first thing I would try. We do a lot of mig welding in the shop and the rolls of wire can get rust on them just sitting over the weekend in the humid summer weather. After that, check anything that could be sucking in air with your shield gas. Regulator connections, your nozzle insulator etc.
Old September 12th, 2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
How old is your wire?

My old man's HTP welder worked great when we got it 25 years ago, but over the years, it seemed to lose its savoir faire.
We never did major work with it, but it was always around to do a job here or there.
As the years went on, the occasional annoying wire glitches grew more frequent, and finally, you couldn't run it for more than a few seconds without getting giant knots of wire inside.
He replaced the tube liner (they wear) but it didn't help.

One day last year, I was helping him do a small but important welding job, and it just wouldn't work, not even for a few seconds. He called HTP and talked to them. They said to check the wire, and sure enough, the copper-plated steel wire had very slight, almost imperceptible, surface rust, all along it.

He ordered a couple of new rolls of wire, I installed one when they came, and, BANGO! it worked just like new.

If you can't get a good weld, and your welder has been sitting, consider getting a new reel of wire.

- Eric
The same thing happened to me a few years ago and it's happening again now. I get about 3 years out of a roll no matter whether it's used up or not.
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:12 PM

I have installed new wire, but when trying to weld I cant get a good bead, it just stutters.
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The feed rate has to be right for the materials and power - too slow and it will sputter.

The shield gas has to be set to the right pressure and has to be actually coming out - check to be sure there are no restrictions.

Dirty / greasy / painted / rusty surfaces will sputter, shiny clean ones will weld much smoother.

- Eric
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:19 PM

And I also tried to adjust the wire speed feed and voltage.
Old September 13th, 2013, 03:33 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I don't want to teach Grandma to suck eggs, but is the metal you're working on clean?.
I learned a long time ago I cant weld rust. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious.

If you haven't used your welder in a long time maybe it needs a bit of an overhaul, same as a car that hasn't been run for a long time.

Could be you're out of practice, again no disrespect intended, try your hand on some old metal until you have your hand in again.

Roger.
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:11 AM

I still say the problem is not you if you have welded before. I also say check ground clamp where wire attaches. Recently my welder was sputtering and when I grabbed the ground clamp the bolt that holds the wire to the clamp was so hot it branded my palm... Ouch, and of course that was the trouble, loose connection.
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Good point - you never think about the ground clamp if it looks okay.
Also, the wire where it attaches to the plug on the other end, and the plug itself.

Remember, arc welding uses high current but low voltage - it doesn't take much resistance to slow it down.

- Eric
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:09 PM

Thanks for everyones reply. I got some scrap metal and tomorrow will try to do some practicing, hopefully I can get everything dialed in.