floor paint: under and inside

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2012, 05:53 PM

floor paint: under and inside

I am wondering what is the best paint to use underneath and inside on the floor. I plan on undercoating the floor again so should I just apply primer and then undercoat.

The fllor pans are pretty good with a dime size hole in the DS front. I am thinking about patching instrad of relacement as it look solid underneath.

Any suggestions

Thanks
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:04 PM

I used Por 15 on the inside, I didn't top coat it as I will put underlayment etc over that. I am using Por 15 on the bottom side as well, but will probably spray the underside with GM reconditioning Black, while the por 15 is still tacky, I think your probably going to use epoxy primer or similar, I know you would not want to use rattle can primer duplicolour or similar as this is NOT water proof..... so it would need to be topcoated...
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:58 PM

summit has a product called "rust bullit", i put it on the inside of my 73 nova and im going to put it on the floors and trunk of my 49. brush it on or spray it. this stuff gets hard as a rock.
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:06 PM
L69

por 15 is great but expensive. I have used krylon rust tough for the inside floors as they get covered and dont see much moisture

Last edited by L69; May 9th, 2012 at 11:06 PM. Reason: word correction
Old May 11th, 2012, 08:34 AM

Is this a restoration, or rust cover up?

POR15 is not the "go to" paint, like everyone thinks. It is used to COVER RUST.

For a restoration the first step is to remove rust. Next, use epoxy primer, and top coat, just like you would on the body. Some use paint designed for tractors or semi-trucks for underside and frames.
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by MX442
Is this a restoration, or rust cover up?

POR15 is not the "go to" paint, like everyone thinks. It is used to COVER RUST.

For a restoration the first step is to remove rust. Next, use epoxy primer, and top coat, just like you would on the body. Some use paint designed for tractors or semi-trucks for underside and frames.

its a restoration....but just for me to drive not to show. I just was a clean car. Not worried about it is OEM like
Old May 12th, 2012, 04:33 PM

I wouldnt use POR15 and decent floors......epoxy primer with a good acrylic urethane/poly urethane top coat and you should never have a problem...And if you ever have to sand it off, it is a heck of a lot easier to sand than POR..
Old May 12th, 2012, 06:21 PM

Floor Paint

Hey: I used KBS Rust Seal on the "interior" floor pans and they came out GREAT! Cleaned the pans very good (sanded and such), wiped clean(CLEAN can not be stressed enough when painting...!)treated some spots with OSPHO rust treatments (as needed), and then did two light coats as they state in the instructions. Put on light and keep moving ( use a good brush, or thin and spray on). Flowed well, and have had NO pealing. Pans are better than factory.... will try and post some pictures of before and after. One quart will do from the bottom of back seat section all the way up the sloped pan section by fire wall. I used "grey" but comes in several different colors. At $38/quart, it's not cheap, but a very good product. Not sure what I am going to use on the underside. Any thoughts there guys/gals?
Old August 9th, 2012, 06:31 PM

awesome guys thanks...
Old August 10th, 2012, 06:14 PM

Why not just spot media blast, sand blast, shell blast, or grind it down to see what you have before just covering the rust with a sealer? It's still there! Just hidden.
Old August 12th, 2012, 12:19 PM

I am going to clean it as best as I can....then use POR15 since I already have a quart.