Chrome sport mirrors or replacement 70 Supreme

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Chrome sport mirrors or replacement 70 Supreme

Hi,

I bought standard mirrors from thepartsplace for my 1970 olds supreme. The mounting area on the mirrors didn't cover up the holes on the body (wasn't wide enough) so I assume I need the "sport" mirrors.

My question is, any mirrors I can use besides the sport mirrors that are long enough to cover the holes? I'd prefer not to have to get the "sport" and paint them.

Thanks!
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:10 PM

the standard chrome mirror for 70 would work on the drivers side. Did you have a passenger side view mirror as well. There are aftermarket mirrors that would work too - are you looking to have chrome or do you just not like the 70 style mirrors
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:22 PM

I think he's looking at the price of getting the mirrors and then having the painted to match the car vs just bolting on chrome ones.
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:09 AM

oh, then wouldn't the reproduction sports mirrors cover the holes from the standard driver's side chrome mirror
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:12 AM

I think the standard mirror has a smaller base to it because it doesn't have the control for it. The chrome remote mirror uses the same holes as the sport mirrors do. If he has the large holes on both doors the only way to cover them that I know of would be with the sport mirrors.
Old June 11th, 2010, 10:56 AM

ah, another good catch, I forgot about the "standard" mirror, I never owned a 70-72 with a standard mirror.
Old June 11th, 2010, 11:30 AM

jtriggy - sent you a pm w/ a possible "middle ground" idea.
Old June 11th, 2010, 12:33 PM

Or.... could this be a case of the 1968-69 chrome standard mirror being mistaken for a 1970-72? I've compared these before and the 1968-69 chrome non-adjustable mirror has a narrower base than the 1970-72. Otherwise they look almost identical, possibly a slightly different angle from the base to the mirror. John
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:53 PM

Hi,

Pic attached. Notice the base of the standard chrome mirrors don't come close to covering the holes.

I would go with the sport mirrors if I had to but I'd prefer chrome and not painted.

Thanks,
James

Originally Posted by jtriggy
Hi,

I bought standard mirrors from thepartsplace for my 1970 olds supreme. The mounting area on the mirrors didn't cover up the holes on the body (wasn't wide enough) so I assume I need the "sport" mirrors.

My question is, any mirrors I can use besides the sport mirrors that are long enough to cover the holes? I'd prefer not to have to get the "sport" and paint them.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
olds_mirror.jpg (77.6 KB, 60 views)
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:21 PM

Those are NOT stock holes in your door sir. The stock holes look sortta like a key hole turned on it's side. The sport mirrors wouldn't even come close to covering those up.
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Received a reply from thepartsplace after sending them a picture. They said the sport mirror base *would* mount to those holes.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:40 AM

I can GAURENTEE it wouldn't. Those holes are 1. way too small and 2. too far apart.
Like I said the holes for the sport mirrors are sortta shaped like a keyhole and those are just small screw holes.
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

If it's anything like a '71 those holes aren't right as said. The driver's side has the larger keyhole in the front to make room for the remote cable if equipped, same larger front hole for remote or regular type mirrors. The pic attached is the passenger side which are the same size holes. The passenger side does not have an inner brace if it didn't have a mirror from the factory and one has to be installed or the mirror base will bend the sheet metal if any pressure is put on it. The piece is shown in the period GM parts catalog, Inline Tube and others sell them. I made one out of some scrap metal and epoxied it to the inside of the door.
The other pic is from somebody that sells them, that brace has the larger hole in front for the driver's side. I thought they all had the inner brace and holes on the driver's side so why sell it???
Maybe the driver's side door mirror was an option and some doors have no provisions for it? Mine had the brace and it had the standard mirror originally.

Is the sport mirror base long enough to cover both those holes?
Need the mirror base length, the number center to center on those door holes, and where the mirror and factory type keyholes should be exactly. How can they tell without a number if the mirror base will cover those holes from a pic??? If the base is shorter than the width between those screw holes you're going to have at least one hole that is going to show, front one or rear depending on where they are now.
Dual optional outside door thermometers could cover an extra front hole?
Attached Images
2914_35.jpg (9.3 KB, 37 views)
mirror holes.jpg (43.8 KB, 33 views)
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:01 PM

I agree with Randy, those holes are too far apart for any of the factory mirrors to cover. I believe Allen's pictures of the 1971 mirror mounting holes are the same as 1970. So... the person on the phone is mistaken. John
Old June 18th, 2010, 10:08 AM

ok, my car is getting a new dual exhaust as we speak. As soon as she is home, I'll upload pics of both sides with tape measure to demonstrate widths of holes. You guys rock.
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:44 AM
'72 Supreme vert (Mango)

Resurrecting thread: Installing Pass Side Mirror '72 Supreme

I need to put a side view mirror on my '72 Supreme where there was none from the factory. I'm going with a repro factory chrome one from Fusick. Is the mounting set up the same on the '72 as the '70-71? There are holes there from where the original owner had installed a horrible mirror, like from a 1985 Caprice or something, but they won't work for the factory mirror. Is the mounting position the same on the pass side as on the driver's? If there was no mirror from the factory, should I assume that I'll need to fab the support bracket? Will gorilla glue epoxy serve to mount the support? I looked on the wild about cars site for the the body manual page for mounting the mirrors, but couldn't find it. Any insight would be apprciated. Thanks - mark
Old March 5th, 2012, 01:18 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Is that passenger side inner backing plate needed for the standrd chrome mirror as well. Inline has a part 10406 but they indicate it is for sports mirrors.

Thanks, Peter