Body mount ?

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2014 | 07:38 AM

Body mount ?

Can anyone tell me if body mounts for a Chevelle are the same as Cutlass ?
Old December 20th, 2014 | 10:46 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

The bushings or the lower mounts that go on the firewall. I got mine ( lower mounts on firewall ) from the parts place and they where just for a gm A body they where not exact but they where the same shape. I did have to trim them and finness them to get a much better fit to weld them in .
Old December 20th, 2014 | 10:54 AM

Iv got a complete kit for a Chevelle , it looks good but I'd like to know if anyone else has used them . Thanks for the reply . By complete kit I mean the bushings , rubber mounts with bolts and hardware .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0587.jpg (33.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by DENT; December 20th, 2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old December 20th, 2014 | 11:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Henry, Are you starting a new resto?? I thought you just did the body off on your 442. In fact I know you did, I watched your progress.

EDIT: I just looked at this link and it suggests that Chevelle, Cutlass and Buick use the same mounts. For some reason it doesn't include Pontiac. ABS Auto Body Specialties

Last edited by Allan R; December 20th, 2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old December 20th, 2014 | 11:38 AM

I;v been tinkering with this 70 post for some time now ,
Attached Images
IMG_4788.jpg (28.6 KB, 23 views)
IMG_0553.jpg (33.6 KB, 21 views)
Old December 20th, 2014 | 11:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Looks like it's coming along nicely. From what I've seen the body pucks should be ok. How long have you had this 70? What's it going to end up as? I'm wondering if it has a 34477 in the VIN or if its a 33677.

So your 72 is getting a stable mate. That's really cool! Post some details ok?
Old December 20th, 2014 | 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Henry, Are you starting a new resto?? I thought you just did the body off on your 442. In fact I know you did, I watched your progress.

EDIT: I just looked at this link and it suggests that Chevelle, Cutlass and Buick use the same mounts. For some reason it doesn't include Pontiac. ABS Auto Body Specialties
Thanks Allan,
Old December 20th, 2014 | 11:59 AM

Its someones unfinished basket case , 1970 Post , pretty tough body. It had 2 quarters brazed on each side on top of the originals , and some hack job repair to the trunk floor with some hockey pucks for mounts ,lol. The worst part was under the hood , 350 sbc . I have no problem with sbc's , just not for this car.
The one thing i found was a little strange about this car is that it has power windows , not many post cars with that option.
Attached Images
IMG_0579.jpg (32.7 KB, 19 views)
IMG_0580.jpg (41.4 KB, 17 views)
Old December 20th, 2014 | 12:08 PM

The vin is 33677LAN438203
Old December 20th, 2014 | 12:33 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Cool. You'll have to do a write up on installing the PW assemblies. I have to do that with my 72. I have an NOS complete setup for PW but haven't tacked it yet. LMK if you need extra window motors, I have 4 spares in the shed.

Wow, Hockey pucks? That's just nuts. And who in their right mind would braze new skins right over top of old? Glad it's in your court now.

So judging by the VIN this started life as a poor mans Olds coupe with a couple nice options? What kind of driveline are you planning to put back in it? I'm guessing this is also a peg leg car with a 2.56 axle if it had the base 350 low compression engine from the factory.
Old December 20th, 2014 | 01:04 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I used the same body mount bushings . Some bolts are too long .
Old December 20th, 2014 | 01:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Copper - the Body Mount bolt kit for the Cutlass is sold separately, but they say it's the same for Chevelle....
Do these look right to you?
Old December 20th, 2014 | 01:15 PM

Copper - the Body Mount bolt kit for the Cutlass is sold separately, but they say it's the same for Chevelle....
Do these look right to you?
Looks good to me .
Old December 20th, 2014 | 01:23 PM

Here's an updated pic
Attached Images
03140001.jpg (63.7 KB, 25 views)
Old December 20th, 2014 | 01:44 PM

Cool. You'll have to do a write up on installing the PW assemblies. I have to do that with my 72. I have an NOS complete setup for PW but haven't tacked it yet. LMK if you need extra window motors, I have 4 spares in the shed.

Wow, Hockey pucks? That's just nuts. And who in their right mind would braze new skins right over top of old? Glad it's in your court now.

So judging by the VIN this started life as a poor mans Olds coupe with a couple nice options? What kind of driveline are you planning to put back in it? I'm guessing this is also a peg leg car with a 2.56 axle if it had the base 350 low compression engine from the factory.
Im thinking the wiring harness will be the big job for you Allan.
Old December 20th, 2014 | 02:21 PM

cool beans ...

Dent loved your last build looking forward to this one, most bushing kits I have seen come with 12 bushings, its sort of a universal kit had an older one from year one, and the one I bought that was more correct, it had bushings for convertible 2 and 4 door cars I had to buy the core support bushings separately , sbc ewwwwwwww
Old December 20th, 2014 | 02:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by DENT
Im thinking the wiring harness will be the big job for you Allan.
Nope, I also have the NOS wiring harness that comes with the whole shebang. Even the door switches, boots, relay etc. I've just not wanted to tackle this quite yet because when I do I want to put all the interior options in at one time and I've collected a mitt full.
Old December 20th, 2014 | 03:01 PM

Nope, I also have the NOS wiring harness that comes with the whole shebang. Even the door switches, boots, relay etc. I've just not wanted to tackle this quite yet because when I do I want to put all the interior options in at one time and I've collected a mitt full.
Awesome , sounds like another good project to watch for.
Old December 20th, 2014 | 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Dent loved your last build looking forward to this one, most bushing kits I have seen come with 12 bushings, its sort of a universal kit had an older one from year one, and the one I bought that was more correct, it had bushings for convertible 2 and 4 door cars I had to buy the core support bushings separately , sbc ewwwwwwww
To me , a sbc belongs in a Chevy , I have some options for my 70 post , just have to decide what I want to do.
Old December 20th, 2014 | 03:07 PM

To me , a sbc belongs in a Chevy , I have some options for my 70 post , just have to decide what I want to do.
Agree or a 32 deuce coupe lol....
Old December 20th, 2014 | 03:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Awesome , sounds like another good project to watch for.
uh, Henry? I wanted to watch you first....
Old December 20th, 2014 | 04:51 PM

Thumbs up

uh, Henry? I wanted to watch you first....
Lol ,, well i'll keep you posted.
Old December 20th, 2014 | 04:59 PM
Just an Olds Guy

One of the problems I've got is my door panels are for roll down windows. I either have to get them re-covered locally or buy all new 4. Not sure what costs less, but I know what fits right now. Are you changing anything on yours?

BTW, I also have PDL, PT, CC, P seat, new all tinted side glass, new B85 molding and window sweeps, Convenience lighting, electric rear defog on glass, AM/FM Stereo with 8 track/rear speakers, tilt steering, yada yada yada to install. This is why I want to do it all at once instead of several do - overs. I'm kind of making this into a very heavily optioned car.....too bad it wasn't a U code with A51 seats and console.
Old December 20th, 2014 | 05:08 PM

Most of the aftermarket kits are a "one kit fits many". When new the Oldsmobiles had a softer rubber than the Chevys had. Inline tube has a specific set made now for Oldsmobile that are softer rubber than general kits have. If you already have this kit I would not spend the money on the other softer kit.
Old December 20th, 2014 | 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
Most of the aftermarket kits are a "one kit fits many". When new the Oldsmobiles had a softer rubber than the Chevys had. Inline tube has a specific set made now for Oldsmobile that are softer rubber than general kits have. If you already have this kit I would not spend the money on the other softer kit.
Thanks , I got this kit for a good price . Its an Energy poly kit . Good enough for this project.