68 cutlass convertible door trim

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2013, 07:12 PM

68 cutlass convertible door trim

Does anyone know who sells the clips that slide into the back of the stainless trim that runs from the front fendors, along the doors and to the rear fendors? The clips slide into the channel on the back of the trim and and attach the trim to the body via holes in the body. If nobody knows what I'm talking about, I'll post a picture of them tomorrow night.
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:38 AM
Randy C.

I know what you are talking about. You may have to find something else, or something similar, that works. I haven't seen that type of spring-loaded clip for sale for a number of years now. I've seen larger ones for sale, but none the size that Olds used, and I'm pretty sure the larger clips wouldn't fit, anyway.

I would keep my eye out at swap meets. Every once in awhile I'll see a vendor with some of those old clips.

As I recall, for the door there are studs that you slide a sort of plastic retainer onto and the stainless piece fits on those plastic retainers. It is held on at each end by yet another different kind of fastener.

And, again as I recall, the quarter trim pieces are held on by yet another kind of fastener.

I've attached a picture of the kind of fastener I believe you are talking about, though. You might find others on this site that have these available!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0704112031.jpg (40.1 KB, 32 views)
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
I know what you are talking about. You may have to find something else, or something similar, that works. I haven't seen that type of spring-loaded clip for sale for a number of years now. I've seen larger ones for sale, but none the size that Olds used, and I'm pretty sure the larger clips wouldn't fit, anyway.

I would keep my eye out at swap meets. Every once in awhile I'll see a vendor with some of those old clips.

As I recall, for the door there are studs that you slide a sort of plastic retainer onto and the stainless piece fits on those plastic retainers. It is held on at each end by yet another different kind of fastener.

And, again as I recall, the quarter trim pieces are held on by yet another kind of fastener.

I've attached a picture of the kind of fastener I believe you are talking about, though. You might find others on this site that have these available!

Randy C.
Thank you very much for your help! I will keep my eyes peeled for them. I just assumed that somebody would offer them since almost everyother part on the car can still be purchased
Old July 31st, 2013, 02:19 PM

I just grabbed a couple of door trim pieces that still have the fasteners for doors with studs. Do you need the spring clips for holes or the type for studs? They made both types in 68 (I think you need the spring clips based on your description). I also have some of those but they are readily available in original finish from places like Fusick or functional cadmium plated types from vendors on ebay.
Old July 31st, 2013, 02:24 PM

Randy C.
Randy,

I used the same spring clip type as are used on the fenders. The ones in your pic look smaller than everything I've seen but it's hard to tell without a reference. Like I said above they used both studs and holes in the 68 doors but the first and last fastener use a different type with a phillips screw that can be seen from the outside. Fusick has that type also. The rear 1/4 panel convertible trim uses the crappy push in type in all but the first one and the last two in the trunk. They use the spring clip like the fender, however the nut is a special type that's got a plastic coating on it. I've got a bunch of those from the trim a grabbed at the scrap yard this past weekend. You can tell the rear 1/4 fasteners that get the crappy put in ones because they are the oval holes

Last edited by allyolds68; July 31st, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old July 31st, 2013, 02:48 PM

The T bolts with the spring tab that Randy showed and the door clips that slide over the studs are available through Auveco and are sold through Fastenal. The fender T Bolts are part number 2744 and use a 10-24 threaded stud 3/4" long. The box will say Chrysler but it's correct for the 68/69 Cutlass fender moldings. I believe the door clips that slide onto the studs is # 11288. As mentioned, Fusick sells the special quarter push in type clips and the clips for both ends of the door moldings. The Auveco clips come in boxes with multiple clips so you'll end up with more than you need.

Brian
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I just grabbed a couple of door trim pieces that still have the fasteners for doors with studs. Do you need the spring clips for holes or the type for studs? They made both types in 68 (I think you need the spring clips based on your description). I also have some of those but they are readily available in original finish from places like Fusick or functional cadmium plated types from vendors on ebay.
From what I've seen, and I've only taken the front fender trim piece off so far, I have the spring clips. So what you're saying is the front fender, door and rear fender all use one type or the other; spring or stud type? If they're available from Fusick and others, I'll take a look and make a decision who to buy from.

I did forget to mention my 68 is a convertible. Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old July 31st, 2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
The T bolts with the spring tab that Randy showed and the door clips that slide over the studs are available through Auveco and are sold through Fastenal. The fender T Bolts are part number 2744 and use a 10-24 threaded stud 3/4" long. The box will say Chrysler but it's correct for the 68/69 Cutlass fender moldings. I believe the door clips that slide onto the studs is # 11288. As mentioned, Fusick sells the special quarter push in type clips and the clips for both ends of the door moldings. The Auveco clips come in boxes with multiple clips so you'll end up with more than you need.

Brian
Thanks a lot Brian!! I really appreciate the help. You guys on here are awesome and always answer my questions with more than enough information!
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:07 PM
Randy C.

I have a '68 vert (Lansing car) and a '69 vert (Fremont car) and both are set up the same for the stainless trim fasteners. The fenders use spring clips fore to aft. The doors have the studs where the nylon tab slips on, with the screw-on fasteners at each end as described by AllyOlds68. And the quarters use fasteners as described by AllyOlds68.

I've never seen doors that use the spring clips - only the studs with the nylon fastener.

Randy C.
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:26 AM

I have a '68 vert (Lansing car) and a '69 vert (Fremont car) and both are set up the same for the stainless trim fasteners. The fenders use spring clips fore to aft. The doors have the studs where the nylon tab slips on, with the screw-on fasteners at each end as described by AllyOlds68. And the quarters use fasteners as described by AllyOlds68.

I've never seen doors that use the spring clips - only the studs with the nylon fastener.

Randy C.
Good deal. Thanks again!
Old August 1st, 2013, 10:30 AM

My driver's side had studs (original door) and the passenger side had holes (it was replaced at some point). The holes were punched and not drilled so I have to assume they were original. FWIW the passenger door was from a hardtop because it didn't have the convertible door shim but the vent window was a correct convertible one so I assume they switched that over.