1969 Quarter Panel replacement

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2022, 11:23 AM

1969 Quarter Panel replacement

I started my body work and found out that my rear quarter panel has much more damage than I expected. (ok, I have done enough of this stuff to know that you should always expect the worst.) Anyway, I am looking at getting replacements for both sides, but I am wondering if someone could tell me, or better yet show me how much of the quarter panel from the coupe match the convertible? I have read/heard different descriptions from just a couple inches of the wheel well, to the bottom half. I am just wondering how much of my panel I have to hammer out vs able to replace. How about the door jamb area? is this the same? My quarter was hit and then pulled out roughly, and filled. The door jamb has about 1/2 of filler in it to close the gap, which I believe was created when as the quarter was dented. I am hoping that if the replacement panel matches at least part way, I should be able to cut it out and put the jamb metal back where it should be. If it is indeed just the wheel well that is the same, then it probably isn't worth using anyway, and I will have to find another solution. Which might explain the filler and fiberglass. I really could use a picture with a line showing where the two start to differ.

Also, does anyone make the inner front fender support (brace behind the wheel wheel) or do you know if new fenders come with this panel attached? It seems simple enough to rebuild, but both mine are rusted almost completely, so I don't have a great template.

Thank you,
Bob
Old November 5th, 2022, 05:23 PM
Randy C.

Here's how much they took out of the driver side quarter panel on my '68 before fitting a repro hardtop panel to it. It turned out nicely to this day and those pics were taken 16 years ago.

Randy C.

Old November 6th, 2022, 07:26 AM

Thank you! That is exactly what I needed. And that is about how much of mine needs to be replaced.