Do I need to add leaded additive to my fuel

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2013, 10:59 AM

Do I need to add leaded additive to my fuel

Hi everyone ; I`ve not posted much but really enjoy the great collection of experience and priceless knowledge in the collective group . I was wondering if not using leaded fuel could cause some long term damage ? I usually put 91-94 octane in my car and it really seems to run great . The previous owner had it tuned by someone that really knew what they were doing ,it will start first spin . Thanks J.R.
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The general consensus is that unless you do sustained high-speed / high-load operation (such as towing), you shouldn't need it.

The question for anyone who says you have to use it, is have they ever actually seen an Olds head, that experienced normal use, with exhaust valve recession.

- Eric
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:14 AM

I have not used a lead additive in any of my collector cars, and I have not had one problem as a result of the missing lead component of the current gasoline. I have had detonation issues as a result of the low octane content of the gasoline, and I hate the use of ethanol in the fuel, since it deteriorates the rubber components in the carburetor.
I can remember when my brother purchased his new 1958 Chevy Impala with the fuel injection engine. He started using Amoco "white" gasoline, which had no lead additive in it. It ran perfectly well, and there was never any engine issues. Back then, there was a belief that the lead was bad for the fuel injection units. I also ran the white gas in my 1959 Impala 348 with a standard Rochester 4 barrel carb, and never had a problem. I think that the myth has grown out of proportion to fact in the years since lead was removed from gasoline. The lead (tetra ethyl) was added as a octane booster, and had nothing to do with valve issues. It did form a coating on the exhaust valves, and left the tail pipe with a nice white coating if your engine was running correctly.
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
The general consensus is that unless you do sustained high-speed / high-load operation (such as towing), you shouldn't need it.

The question for anyone who says you have to use it, is have they ever actually seen an Olds head, that experienced normal use, with exhaust valve recession.

- Eric
X2. When having my heads done last year the machinist called them "virgins" yet I was still nervous and did much trolling on blogs. The comment that made the most sense was the hardening from the factory doesn't make it through the 2nd valve job and you don't hear of hardened seats being re-installed.
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Administrator

X3 on not having to run it.
Old July 20th, 2013, 11:43 AM

X4 and have run regular gas in my 327 powered Land Cruiser for over 10 years with no problems.

I did have my 55 Olds heads reworked (three angle valve job) when it was time to rebuild them just to be on the safe side...Tedd
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks all for your input and I think at this point in time that if it isn`t broke don`t fix it .J.R.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 03:31 AM

When I lived in PA in the early 80s I could take my 73 "COOP DEEVILLE" to a place in Pottstown that sold LEADED fuel! I bet its no longer there