Restricters with Hydraulic Roller Lifters?

Search this Thread

Old August 6th, 2012, 03:44 AM

Restricters with Hydraulic Roller Lifters?

Good day all,
I'm currently rebuildign my Oldsmobile 455. I have heard the many issues that Olds have with oiling the bottom end so I optioned to install lifter oil restictors I grabbed from Mondello Racing. I decided to use a roller cam with hydraulic roller lifters. I NEED TO KNOW IF THE OIL RESTRICTORS WILL DAMAGE MY HYDRAULIC ROLLER LIFTERS OR HINDER THEM IN ANY WAY? Any info would be appreciated thanks
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:51 AM

Don't those restrictors go between the supply at the main bearings and the point of use at the CAM BEARINGS? 4 or 5 of them? Not 16 of them between lifters and their supply?

If so, I don't see how they could possibly affect lifter oiling.

PS you can simply install cam bearings with a smaller oil hole and not have to mess with the M type restrictors.
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:56 AM

No these are the lifter restrictors. There are 16 of them. They install install bweet the lifters and their supply. I was gonna get the other kit meantioned but as you said wouldn't help anything at all. I'm worried that since the hydraulic roler lifters need oil to operatem, the restrictors will hinder flow to the point they won't pump back up properly.
Old August 6th, 2012, 04:00 AM

I called Mondello twice and asked them if the restrictors were safe to use. Unfortunately I bought them before deciding to go with Hydraulic rollers. They gave me two different answers each time however. First time they said the restrictors were mandatory with hydraulic rollers then they said that they are mandatory with mechanical. What do you think/ know?
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:58 AM

Use restricted pushrods instead. That way you don't hinder ample oil to the lifter.
Old August 6th, 2012, 11:30 AM

Your first problem is you called Mondello lol! I agree with Mark, restrict the oil after the lifter on a hyd. setup.