1962 olds 394

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2007, 03:42 PM

1962 olds 394

i just wounder if anybody has got some pictures of what the crankhouse ventilation looked like from the factory. i have some problem with oil leaking over my engine thru my breathers.
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:50 PM

i got a few pics of my 394 i just acquired, and a couple of the 371 in my olds.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ford/olds4.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ford/olds3.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...rd/olds2-1.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...rd/olds1-1.jpg

hopefully these pics could help you. I would make sure the breather is fresh and not full of oil, and if the motor has been redone, i would defenitely run a pcv to the air filter-or add a breather in each valve cover. Providing the oil is coming from "blow by" and not through bad gaskets, such as distributor or the valley pan.
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:36 AM

the engine has not beeen redone and the breather on the oil filling tube is old + i have offenhauser valve covers with no breathers on them. the only way out now for the crankhouse ventilation is thru that single breather in the oil filling tube and that might not be enough. it feels like there should be at least one more "hole" for the engine to breath thru. i searched the web and found some good (and bad) solutions to the problem. one guy had drilled a hole thru the oil filling tube & put a hose in it to the air cleaner. another guy had also drilled a hole in the tube but he had the hose conected to the carb.

my second question is: will two breathers (one on each valve cover) and a fresh one for the oil filling tube prevent oil from gushing out my new paint job or will more breathers just mean that there are more "holes" to leak & gush oil from over my new paintjob?
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Ok, thanks. Yeah, pictures would be nice. My engine is really gushing out a fog of oil that makes my engine, windshield and roof look really messy. I could post a picture of the engine here....
Old June 18th, 2007, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the pictures. It looks just like it did on my 56 Pontiac with a Chevy 350 engine & tranny. The "problem" for me with my Olds 394 is that i have finned Offenhauser valve covers with no holes in them. Should i buy breathers and put on each valve cover and a new cap for the oil filling tube? I prefer not to have hoses in to my air cleaner & carb because i want a clean nice look since i have no hood to cover the engibe with. Sorry if i am asking you the same question over and over again, but i´m from sweden and i don´t fully understand everything you´re saying when we talk about technical stuff haha.
Here´s a picture of the car where you can see my valve covers...
forden.jpg
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Past Administrator

Stefan, you may have no choice but to use some kind of positive crankcase ventilation to keep the engine/firewall/windscreen cleaner. It seems you have a lot of positive pressure in that block that wants to get out.

By the way, you should go on over to jalopyjournal.com and get on the H.A.M.B. They would love your car over there!
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:58 PM

I was thinking about putting some Offenhauser breathers on the valve covers but will that take care of the problem with oil spraying all over my car or will it just be two new holes for the oil to leak out from?

Thanks,for the comments on my Ford
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:05 AM

First of all i now realise that the word "crankhouse" is a non existing word which i made up with some swedish added to my english

My friend has got a 1959 Olds 394 and he has got a tube at the top of the block with a hose connected to it which runs under the car. Does anybode know which year they changed this?
Old June 19th, 2007, 02:20 AM

My kind of Rod.

The original road draft tube would fit in with your late fifties look, but they can be messy if you drive it much.

Originally Posted by Stefan
........ the only way out now for the crankcase ventilation is thru that single breather in the oil filling tube and that might not be enough ........
It's more than enough. It's the way it was done before California required "closed" PCV systems. Addition of the air cleaner hose, is what made it a "closed" system, and it's only purpose, was to provide filtered air for crankcase ventilation.

As long as you don't have excessive blowby, and your cap looks like this,

you can use it. Found it at http://www.partsamerica.com/

Norm
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:07 AM

........ Does anybody know which year they changed this?
Don't know about the other 49 states, but starting in '63 (according to the CA State website) closed PCV systems were required on all cars, '55 and newer, that were sold/registered in the state.

Norm
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:14 AM

ok, but how about just drilling a hole in my valley cover and let a hose run under my car? bad idea?
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:19 AM

what is excessive blowby? again, i´m from sweden hahaha
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:19 PM

ok, but how about just drilling a hole in my valley cover and let a hose run under my car? or maybe drill a hole in my oil filling tube & let a hose run under the car? bad idea? the early 394 engines had a hose just hanging down under the car so... maybe i can take the easy way out and solve the problem like this & then fix it when the looong winter comes here in sweden
Old June 19th, 2007, 11:23 PM

ok, but how about just drilling a hole in my valley cover and let a hose run under my car?
Yes, you could do that.

Or, you could run that same hose, with a PCV valve, from where the top of the road draft tube used to be, to the rear of the carb base. Clean the oil out of the filler cap and, blowby permitting, you should be good to go.

Norm
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:21 AM

Ok, i will try some different solutions to the problem. Do you think i could drill a hole in the tube where i fill the engine up with oil and run a hose under the car? Instead of drilling a hole in my valley cover? It would be so much easier for now & then i can drill a hole in the valley cover and hide the hose better for a cleaner look when i have the time (in the winter)...now i just want to get the car out & cruise the town every night
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:42 PM

Engine breather PCV

Stefan, PM sent

Re:PCV, what about strategically fabbing some breathers on the back of the V/C's out of sight?

I concurr that my fellow HAMB'rs would go crazy over this crate.