intake gasket

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2019, 10:47 PM

intake gasket

restoring 87 cutlass i had a 455 rebuilt last year. it was assemble with edelbrock intake with felpro intake gasket vs the one that looks like a pan. just wondering if one is better than other. the engine runs find doesn't have any fluid leak. haven't driven the car yet it still being re assemble hope to have on the road the by summer. just wonder, not planning on making changes just an educational question
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:13 PM
Administrator

You can use either one. I prefer the fiber type with an aluminum intake and RTV in place of the front and rear gaskets.
Old March 9th, 2019, 11:16 PM

I am not sure what your question is.
Old March 10th, 2019, 07:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

If your question is the perennial factory turkey tray vs. aftermarket fiber gasket, I still stand by the OEM metal one. The factory used these on aluminum as well as cast iron intakes with no issues. I've also used it on aftermarket aluminum with no issues in nearly half a century. You MUST follow the CSM instructions for applying RTV and you must dry fit the gasket before the real install. Be sure the four locating bosses in the corners fit into the holes in the heads properly.
Old March 10th, 2019, 06:31 PM

Joe and I have had differences of opinion over the years about the turkey tray/fiber gaskets. I agree with him absolutely that the turkey tray gasket will work as designed with an aluminum manifold, assuming the heads haven’t been milled excessively, the intake machined accurately, and even if the have been machined correctly, the tolerances don’t stack up to the point the turkey tray will seal. If it’s a used manifold with unknown history, the heads have been killed, etc, the fiber gaskets are much more forgiving. They are much thicker, and will seal better in a less than perfect environment