Seeking Carburetor selection advice

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2019, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Well sir, I know a few CO fellows live in Chi-beria (Chicago) Illinoiz and they had it just as bad. You folks in MI doing okay?
We're hanging in up here in the mitten, warmed up today and supposed to be even warmer tomorrow....go figure. The last 3 days were brutal, coldest on record I believe. Definitely wernt spraying any weedz.....lol
Old February 1st, 2019, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ragz442
We're hanging in up here in the mitten, warmed up today and supposed to be even warmer tomorrow....go figure. The last 3 days were brutal, coldest on record I believe. Definitely wernt spraying any weedz.....lol
Lol, not here either. We live in the sticks...on a hill....with no wind break. The furnace couldn't keep up and we couldn't run the furnace and the gas fireplace at the same time for some reason. There wasn't enough pressure even though the LP tank had just been filled. I think it was just THAT cold (been in this house for ten years and never seen that happen). But with the addition of a sealed oil space heater and a pot of boiling water, we were able to get the temp back up to about 68.
Better today though and 40s with rain tomorrow. That should make the 12 or so inches of snow we've had nice and sloppy, lol.

Carburetor came today. Man I love ordering from Summit. Two days to my door with the free shipping. Everything looks good.....in the box. Lol.

Last edited by Macadoo; February 1st, 2019 at 02:12 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 04:44 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I have a 625 cfm version coming my way, too cheap to pass up. I plan on tuning it and see how it does for performance and mileage compared to my custom tuned 800 cfm Everyday Performance Qjet on my Olds 350.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 05:09 AM

mac had the same thing here at 10 below zero my garage heater wouldn't run with about a quarter tank in my 100 pounder.switched to a 20 pounder and it didnt make it through the night .much warmer here today .good luck with your carb
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:10 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I have 3 electric heaters, 2 radiant heat and one with a fan, it just makes it acceptable in -40. I will be insulating the walls and installing the new opener on the new R value 26.8 door before next winter.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I have 3 electric heaters, 2 radiant heat and one with a fan, it just makes it acceptable in -40. I will be insulating the walls and installing the new opener on the new R value 26.8 door before next winter.
A few things to consider
https://sprayfoams.info/the-r-value-myth/
Then there is this
https://www.youtube.com/user/MyanmarLiving/videos
Old February 3rd, 2019, 11:45 AM

I did a little research and it sounds like the bioling point for LP gas is -44*. At -22* we were mighty close to just having the L of LP gas. It makes sense that I lost pressure. Nit sure what to do about it if it happens again. I've read an electric blanket can help but that would make me a little nervous, obviously.
I'm done heating my shop in the winter. It just costs too much for what little time I get out there in the winter. I covered the wallls in 2" styrofoam before drywalling, 1" foil-backed on the ceiling, and an insulated door that I screw shut and tuck memory foam along the top. It's pretty air-tight but that darn concrete floor stays ice cold.
50 degrees out there today! Lol.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Macadoo
I did a little research and it sounds like the bioling point for LP gas is -44*. At -22* we were mighty close to just having the L of LP gas. It makes sense that I lost pressure. Nit sure what to do about it if it happens again. I've read an electric blanket can help but that would make me a little nervous, obviously.
I'm done heating my shop in the winter. It just costs too much for what little time I get out there in the winter. I covered the wallls in 2" styrofoam before drywalling, 1" foil-backed on the ceiling, and an insulated door that I screw shut and tuck memory foam along the top. It's pretty air-tight but that darn concrete floor stays ice cold.
50 degrees out there today! Lol.
Right you are on the gas, just as a cold butane lighter will not light, as the evaporation to gas has stopped. You can not depend on the electricity to stay on either during crunch times, for several reasons, as these winters gets worse in the coming decade.

Kerosene heaters without fans, and larger forced air radiant heaters might come in handy along with a barrel of Kerosene.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 02:24 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Originally Posted by Firewalker
I see where they come from. Either way the door is insulated and the edges are well sealed. The 3 windows help light a lot. I plan on bat insulation then vapor barrier on the walls. I will do either fiberglass sheets or reflective foil and insulation rolls just above the lower rafter supports. I plan on parking my 2017 Challenger GT in there next year. I also added a second power bar and 4 ft 40W LED shop light, puts out a lot of light. I only can run 30 amps out there so I need as many high efficiency lights, also have another 4 ft fluorescent and a 100 watt equivalent LED bulb in the light socket.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
I see where they come from. Either way the door is insulated and the edges are well sealed. The 3 windows help light a lot. I plan on bat insulation then vapor barrier on the walls. I will do either fiberglass sheets or reflective foil and insulation rolls just above the lower rafter supports. I plan on parking my 2017 Challenger GT in there next year. I also added a second power bar and 4 ft 40W LED shop light, puts out a lot of light. I only can run 30 amps out there so I need as many high efficiency lights, also have another 4 ft fluorescent and a 100 watt equivalent LED bulb in the light socket.
I am a big fan of China's wonders on Ebay for lighting, and run all my lights are now LEDs, with more than a few being radar/microwave activated ones. In my garage, for example, I am wired for one single incandescent bulb. I bought a 6 to 1 splitter that pivots and screwed it into the socket, and then installed 6 LED bulbs. I take the diff users off them for more light output per watt. They are also indifferent to low temps unlike the fluorescence were. Even my H4 headlights run F2 LEDS. I have dozens of LED flashlights and camping style lights and more, and some are solar powered.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 03:04 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I also have a solar LED security light outside, works awesome.
Old August 12th, 2019, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Firewalker
I know one racer, in a magazine article said the 625 dynoed at 500, or a little more on an LS engine.

On the secondaries the flapper valve on the Thermoquad had a dampening pot. It prevented them opening until the choke came off, and slowed the rate of opening down some. I think if there is a problem for some on the secondary its the fuel not starting fast enough, but there is a simple fix for that, if true.

https://mooregoodink.com/evil-twins-...hotrod-engine/
One more possible handy tip on the AFBs, and possibly street Demons if Bog from the secondaries happens for anyone. Try blocking the secondary air bleeds off. This will kill the emulsion effect of the secondary fuel, but should put a harder pull on just the straight fuel. A small piece of temporary duct tape over those small hole should tell you, if that works or not.