Identifying my Starfire's engine

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2018, 10:18 PM

Identifying my Starfire's engine

Since buying my '64 Starfire I've been reading & learning from this site. I now know that the engine in my car should be red/orange. However, my engine is mostly blue-green with red intake manifold and oil pan. There's a tag on the block that indicates it was remanufactured by National Engines & Parts Company. I can't find any info about this company, so I don't know if there's any way to find anything about this engine. Is there anyway to find out, without disassembling the engine, if it was rebuilt to Starfire specs? Or if its a lower compression engine?
The engine starts and runs ok, but due to transmission issues, I really haven't driven the car much -- so I don't know much about how well it runs down the highway.
When I have the transmission removed, I'm thinking about pulling the engine too and painting the whole thing red/orange so it at least looks right.
If anyone can provide some info on the engine, I'd appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2005.JPG (1,007.7 KB, 17 views)
IMG_2013.JPG (865.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: png
IMG_5097.PNG (1.47 MB, 21 views)
IMG_2007.JPG (1.05 MB, 20 views)
IMG_2010.JPG (945.2 KB, 16 views)
Old February 13th, 2018, 03:37 AM

Engine

Originally Posted by NorthernStarfire
Since buying my '64 Starfire I've been reading & learning from this site. I now know that the engine in my car should be red/orange. However, my engine is mostly blue-green with red intake manifold and oil pan. There's a tag on the block that indicates it was remanufactured by National Engines & Parts Company. I can't find any info about this company, so I don't know if there's any way to find anything about this engine. Is there anyway to find out, without disassembling the engine, if it was rebuilt to Starfire specs? Or if its a lower compression engine?
The engine starts and runs ok, but due to transmission issues, I really haven't driven the car much -- so I don't know much about how well it runs down the highway.
When I have the transmission removed, I'm thinking about pulling the engine too and painting the whole thing red/orange so it at least looks right.
If anyone can provide some info on the engine, I'd appreciate it.
looks like a 394, 1st gen Olds Rocket.
Old February 13th, 2018, 05:31 AM
Phantom Phixer

.This engine was assembled with heads from two different engines . There should only be one set of numbers stamped on the driver side head .
The head with the "H" prefix is from a low compression engine , and the head with the "J" prefix is from a high compression engine . Both heads are from 1964 , but neither one was a " Starfire " head .
Not to worry though , all '62 thru '64 heads were the same . ( cast # 23 )
The difference in compression was made by different pistons .
The only concern may be that the engine block is bored out .060 . This block cannot be rebuilt again without using "custom made " pistons .

My advice would be to paint it red and enjoy it . I judged "big cars" at the 2017 OCA nats , and nobody "nitpicked " engine serial numbers .

Last edited by Charlie Jones; February 13th, 2018 at 05:33 AM.
Old February 13th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

The color is irrelevant. That rebuilder likely painted every motor they sold that color. As noted, this motor has been assembled from various parts. There is no way to tell what's been done to it other than to tear it down. It's clearly some sort of stock rebuild, no different than a Jasper or ATK rebuild. If it runs well, just keep driving it.
Old February 13th, 2018, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the helpful info.! I've intended to just drive it as is, but was just curious if there was a way to identify exactly what I have.

Another question: Is there any particular maintenance or repairs I should do as when the engine is out of the car? (Besides fixing a broken stud on an exhaust manifold and painting the engine.) I bought the car already mostly restored (to driver quality), so most things appear to be in good shape. But since I'm a novice, I'm wondering if there are some known issues I should check out (whether with the engine or the engine bay) as long as the engine is out?
Old February 13th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by NorthernStarfire
Thanks for the helpful info.! I've intended to just drive it as is, but was just curious if there was a way to identify exactly what I have.
You have "exactly" a frankenmotor, assembled from parts taken from more than one motor.

Another question: Is there any particular maintenance or repairs I should do as when the engine is out of the car? (Besides fixing a broken stud on an exhaust manifold and painting the engine.) I bought the car already mostly restored (to driver quality), so most things appear to be in good shape. But since I'm a novice, I'm wondering if there are some known issues I should check out (whether with the engine or the engine bay) as long as the engine is out?
Oh, man. This is a great way to MIGHTASWELL yourself into a complete engine rebuild...

Seriously, if there is any question about the condition of the rear main seal or the oil pan gasket, now is the time to replace them.

Unfortunately, if you're like me, once the pan is off you MIGHTASWELL install a new oil pump, pull the main and rod caps to check the bearing clearances, and install a new timing chain and gear. Once the caps are off, you MIGHTASWELL throw in new bearings. And if you are that far into it, you MIGHTASWELL install new valve cover gaskets, and with the covers off, you MIGHTASWELL replace the valve seals.

That's a short, slippery slope to just pulling the heads and doing rings.
Old February 14th, 2018, 12:29 AM

Howdy neighbor.
Just enjoy what you have. Joe is right......one thing leads to another, and before you know it........
I have a '64 Starfire in the "reconstruction stage". With some luck it will be done this summer.
Ralph
Old February 14th, 2018, 10:02 AM

If the engine runs well, leave it in. Do a compression test and a tuneup and if everything is OK you can detail the engine in the car. I have done it on my 63, see my thread.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-progress.html