ignition coil location

Search this Thread

Old January 11th, 2018, 08:07 PM

ignition coil location

Hi
I am looking for intel as to where and how to mount coil. Switching from hei to points distributer.
The engine is a 455 with performer intake manifold. A photo of what others have done would be great.
thanks
Randy
Old January 12th, 2018, 07:28 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 92banana
Hi
I am looking for intel as to where and how to mount coil. Switching from hei to points distributer.
The engine is a 455 with performer intake manifold. A photo of what others have done would be great.
thanks
Randy
The short answer is, it depends - on engine and application. The longer answer is that the stock intake had a square boss towards the rear that the coil bracket fit over. Note the square boss near the heater hose port.

The square boss prevented the coil from pivoting on the single mounting bolt since the coil bracket has ears that fit down over the sides of the square boss.

The Performer 455 appears to have a similar boss. Of course, since the engine obviously won't be stock with the E-brock intake, it's kind of irrelevant as to where you put the coil.

Old January 12th, 2018, 10:54 AM

I have read that mounting the coil to the firewall to keep it away from the hot intake manifold helps with its longevity.
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
I have read that mounting the coil to the firewall to keep it away from the hot intake manifold helps with its longevity.
I have a hunch that's one of those things that sounds good until you start to think about it.

The factory location is right next to the heater port. The coolant temp is in the 160-180 deg F range. The factory coil bracket is steel, which is not a great thermal conductor, and the coil sits an inch or two up off the intake on this bracket. Frankly the difference in temp from that location to firewall mounted above the exhaust is probably negligible.
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:17 AM

Good pics thanks. The bracket in pic is what I have.
The coil will not clear heater valve in the location of the boss on manifold.
Engine is not in car. Is there room between head and firewall to mount to back of head?
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:29 AM

A friend had to use a spacer with a longer bolt to raise the coil to clear a Performer intake. Would that help?
Old January 12th, 2018, 11:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

The coil should be right next to the distributor with sufficient room to clear the heater valve.

I have no idea if the mounting boss on the Performer is even close to the factory location, but you can loosen the screw that clamps the coil in the bracket and slide the coil forward if that provides clearance. You can also thread the heater valve in the intake to clock the diaphragm.