Quadrajet Spacer?

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2018, 04:00 PM

Quadrajet Spacer?

I am considering installing a 1inch spacer between the 7042251 Qudrajet and the W-30 aluminum intake. Are there any benefits noticed by any of you?
The motor is a 455 with roller cam, edelbrock heads, stainless 1 7/8 headers from American Racing
Thanks,
Steve R.
Old January 7th, 2018, 04:26 PM

Are you using the OAI hood and air cleaner?
If so, consider the clearance.
Can't comment on any HP gains. Good luck.
Old January 7th, 2018, 04:34 PM

QUADRAJET Spacer

the car does not have an OAL hood. Regulate air breather.
Old January 7th, 2018, 04:40 PM

Is it an open spacer or 4 hole? I have no experience except for reading. We can speculate all we want but putting the car on a chassis dyno or dragstrip and doing back to back testing is the only way to tell. I've read some peoples comments that they lost power across the board with a spacer. But testing is the only way to know with your combo. Good luck, please post results if possible.
Old January 7th, 2018, 05:02 PM

It is a W-30 alum. intake with the primary and secondary spread bore holes (four holes). I bought a spacer from Mr. Gasket and will try it for testing purposes. Will let you all know the results. The car should be back together in March/April.
Old January 7th, 2018, 06:25 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

IMO...Very minimal HP/TQ increase. Heat mitigation and better hot soak starts are the main benefits. You'll see even greater gains by blocking off the heat riser crossover in the intake or heads along with the isolator gasket. Benefits of blocking off the risers are zero hot start problems, greater hot weather throttle response and no burn marks on the expensive intake.
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:19 PM

Quadrajet Spacer

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
IMO...Very minimal HP/TQ increase. Heat mitigation and better hot soak starts are the main benefits. You'll see even greater gains by blocking off the heat riser crossover in the intake or heads along with the isolator gasket. Benefits of blocking off the risers are zero hot start problems, greater hot weather throttle response and no burn marks on the expensive intake.
I bought the blocking plates for the heat risers from Inline Tube or from OPGI and definitely plan to do that. They are .060 thick. I have cometic intake gaskets. I am just wondering how do I incorporate the block plates into the intake gasket correctly/properly. I want to do it right the first time. Thanks.
Old January 8th, 2018, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by SteveRob442
I bought the blocking plates for the heat risers from Inline Tube or from OPGI and definitely plan to do that. They are .060 thick. I have cometic intake gaskets. I am just wondering how do I incorporate the block plates into the intake gasket correctly/properly. I want to do it right the first time. Thanks.
X2, I did the same thing. I lay down the plate over the cross over with a high temp silicone. Then, I lay the gasket over the plate. I use a hammer and lightly tap the gasket on top of the plate, this makes an imprint of the plate. Use a utility Knife and carve out the imprint.
Old January 8th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by SteveRob442
the car does not have an OAL hood. Regulate air breather.
If you are not running an O.A.I. hood, get rid of the W-30 intake. That intake has exactly the same runners as the stock cast iron intake. The only difference is weight. You'll be much better off with an aftermarket intake instead of a spacer.
Old January 8th, 2018, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
if you are not running an o.a.i. Hood, get rid of the w-30 intake. That intake has exactly the same runners as the stock cast iron intake. The only difference is weight. You'll be much better off with an aftermarket intake instead of a spacer.
x2.