deep springs pocket?

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2017, 11:50 AM

deep springs pocket?

- G heads...are these deep springs pockets?

Old May 14th, 2017, 01:51 PM

I can't tell, but all deep springs used the rotator keepers and these are not rotators.
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:16 PM

Where all valve train parts are include (keepers-springs-locks-rotators), must I pay any attention to any details if rotators or not rotators…any extra machining requiring ?
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

G heads should have rotators - and thus deep spring pockets - on the exhaust valves only. If you decide to delete the rotators to reduce mass and improve peak RPM, then you MUST shim the deep spring pockets to achieve the correct spring installed height. This is basic head assembly 101.
Old May 16th, 2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
G heads should have rotators - and thus deep spring pockets - on the exhaust valves only. If you decide to delete the rotators to reduce mass and improve peak RPM, then you MUST shim the deep spring pockets to achieve the correct spring installed height. This is basic head assembly 101.
Not necessarily true. Using different locks and retainers can get you around .100" +/-. Plus, being an exhaust valve, it doesn't need as much spring as the intake valve so the installed height can be slightly more than the intake.

On the same note, you can add installed height to the intake with locks retainers......while taking some away from the exhaust.

Or, you could just machine the shallow spring pockets to the depth of the deep pockets. Although, I get a little leery of that.

I really don't like using shims, especially if you have to use a lot of them. If I am going to stack a bunch, I get a valve spring locator and stack a few shims underneath so the valve spring has better control.
Old May 20th, 2017, 01:02 AM

]Not necessarily true. Using different locks and retainers can get you around .100" +/-. Plus, being an exhaust valve, it doesn't need as much spring as the intake valve so the installed height can be slightly more than the intake.

On the same note, you can add installed height to the intake with locks retainers......while taking some away from the exhaust.

Or, you could just machine the shallow spring pockets to the depth of the deep pockets. Although, I get a little leery of that.

I really don't like using shims, especially if you have to use a lot of them. If I am going to stack a bunch, I get a valve spring locator and stack a few shims underneath so the valve spring has better control.[/QUOTE ]

can i use a complete kit like this http://www.compperformancegroupstore...Code=K42-228-4

with all types of heads (rotators or not rotators) without machining ?????